Penn 114H second AR dog

Started by Alto Mare, November 29, 2011, 10:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

misanthrope

Alto, thank you for the write up. Did mine and it works great!

After making my initial cut with the Dremel cut off wheel, I used the Dremel 194 High Speed Cutting bit to shape my cut out (scored the plastic using my pawl as a template) and then I used the Dremel 193 High Speed Cutting bit to cut out the groove for the spring.

Well worth the 20 minutes I spent in the garage away from crying cranky children!

-Will
Friendship is like peeing on yourself, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth it brings.
-Unknown

Alto Mare

Nice to hear Will. You had a good reel, now you have a better reel.
Good luck with it.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Sal, I think you can put in a 115 dog if you want alternate engaging, as soon as I get the right sideplate I'll check.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Yes Lee it will work. I mentioned it at "the penn senator 9/0 joins the double dog family".
Here is a shot showing the 15-114 and 15-115 dogs:

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Is the dog on the right one of mine?  The engagement angle needs to be changed a bit.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

misanthrope

Friendship is like peeing on yourself, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth it brings.
-Unknown

Alto Mare

Quote from: Keta on August 15, 2012, 04:33:26 AM
Is the dog on the right one of mine?  The engagement angle needs to be changed a bit.
Where else would I get them from? ;D
Yes the angle needs to be fine-tuned a bit, but it's not a big deal. If you do it, just make sure that you don't mix them up with the other dogs. I would leave them, they're working just fine as they are, but I'm showing them on a 9/0.  A 6/0 might need it more but anyone could hit them with a file a couple of times.

Keta

I'll check in my "new" 114H as soon as I get back from the coast.

Mark Twain

misanthrope

Not an improvement, but an alternative. Still testing it so no how to until I know it'll work.  

I don't think it's worth going this route vs Sal's mod. I had some extra springs and figured it was non invasive so if I didn't like it, it wouldn't affect anything. Just kinda neat to see something different, stick with Sal's;)

-Will
-Unknown

Makule

Quote from: misanthrope on August 15, 2012, 06:19:53 PM
Not an improvement, but an alternative. Still testing it so no how to until I know it'll work.  

I don't think it's worth going this route vs Sal's mod. I had some extra springs and figured it was non invasive so if I didn't like it, it wouldn't affect anything. Just kinda neat to see something different, stick with Sal's;)

-Will

Very clever.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Alto Mare

Very good Will! This would be a good option for the reels that can't take the flat spring, like the 112h's.
Thanks for showing it to us.
Sal

George4741

Will, that is a very clever idea.
viurem lliures o morirem

misanthrope

Prerequisite: Use Sal's Penn 114H second AR dog tutorial.

This mod is an alternative for those that wish to use a coiled spring or cannot use a flat spring. It will require you to make the pawl seat deeper by about 1.5mm otherwise the springs will bind against the bridge when you screw it down. The Dremel 194 High Speed Cutting bit makes short work of deepening the reel seat.

Bend 2 springs like this (Shimano Part # TGT 1304), leave an 1/8" from the bend and clip the rest off (or just drill a deeper hole, don't go all the way through the side plate!). The bend and the curl on the bent leg on the springs is important for this install as that is what will grab against the inside wall of the holes you will be drilling to keep the springs in place. If the bend you put in the spring is not parallel to the other factory prebent leg(left side of the springs in picture), the prebent leg will slip off the pawl as this puts the spring at an angle when installed and this gets old very quickly.

Cut a SHALLOW channel (just deep enough to make the spring flush)  extending out from the pawl seats (the lines that extend outwards from the pawl seats). Drill a hole at the end of each channel about 1/8" deep using a .2280" drill bit. Determine your spring position BEFORE cutting the channel and drilling the hole at the end of the channel to make sure you have enough deflection in the spring once installed to ensure positive engagement.

If the reel seat and the channels are not cut deep enough, the right spring will not stay put and once you tighten down the bridge plate, the bridge plate will pinch the spring against the pawl and won't allow proper deflection of the spring rending the mod useless.

This is what it should look like once it's done properly. Bear in mind that even if the springs are positioned properly as shown in the
picture below,  the bridge plate can still bind against the pawl and the bridge plate, IF the reel seats are not deep enough, you will know after the bridge plate is installed becuase the pawls won't move.

Reassemble and hope everything doesn't go shooting out when you put it back together.  I used Alan's suggestion of using a bit of masking tape to hole the screws in place. I then took a flat head and punched through the tape to expose the slots on the screws. That way the springs stay installed on the screws and when I'm ready to tighten the bridge plate down, I just start turning and the masking tape will break loose.

Right spring/pawl installed under bridge plate.

Left spring/pawl installed under bridge plate.

After testing for positive engagement of the pawls and trying to twist/break the gear sleeve off, I can comfortably say the springs will not slip, AS LONG AS THE PAWL SEATS ARE NOT CUT TOO DEEP. You want the reel seats just deep enough to create clearance for the spring on top of the pawl, nothing more.

Let's hope I don't become that kid that convinced you to jump off the 2nd story roof wearing cardboard wings...

-Will
-Unknown

Keta

Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Very nice work.  I wonder if you can mount the spring under the dog...Hmm
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D