Wels slayer

Started by Tile, April 05, 2020, 09:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

The SS gear sleeve doesn't do much good with the brass main gear.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

RowdyW

The main reason for the ss gear sleeve is to stop the rounding off of where the handle attaches but i would use a ss dog to go with it. The bronze main gears are really tough & smooth running. I doubt you could strip it. The steel gear may be a little tougher but it hasn't been proven.         Rudy

nelz

Quote from: Squidder Bidder on May 27, 2022, 01:02:16 AMDo you Romanian fellers "noodle" for your catfish? It might save some wear on that pretty reel.  ;D

Lol, I'd like to see someone attempt to noodle a 300++ lb Wels!  :o

xjchad

Quote from: nelz on May 27, 2022, 04:35:48 PM
Quote from: Squidder Bidder on May 27, 2022, 01:02:16 AMDo you Romanian fellers "noodle" for your catfish? It might save some wear on that pretty reel.  ;D

There is an episode of Chasing Monsters where Cyril and his pal did noodle a wels catfish.  I don't think it was a 300 pounder, but it was still big!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

nelz

Cyril will try anything!

nelz

Come to think of it, I did see an episode where he was noodlin' cats, but it was in the USA and he did get a biggun', like 40lbs, tore up his hand pretty good too, but it was not a Wels.

xjchad

Quote from: nelz on May 27, 2022, 05:44:26 PMCome to think of it, I did see an episode where he was noodlin' cats, but it was in the USA and he did get a biggun', like 40lbs, tore up his hand pretty good too, but it was not a Wels.

The same guy he noodled with in the US went with him to Spain to get the wels  8)
Husband, Father, Fisherman

philaroman

Quote from: nelz on May 27, 2022, 04:35:48 PM

I think for cats that get bigger than people, instead of noodling it's "straying"
put a stray in a harness w/ shark hooks...  let it drift out on a log...  yank it off  :o

Tile

While I was in Romania I got around and installed the stainless steel gearsleeve on the Senator. The retaining pin took a bit of finessing to stay in its place but be easy to remove when needed.
In solid fiberglass we trust