Penn 113h Reel/Tank

Started by Alto Mare, December 02, 2011, 02:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

three photos is actually just about right for the amount of work that it takes.  a wrench is nothing compared to the work required to do a full rebuild post!  ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Quote from: broadway on December 04, 2011, 02:16:50 AM
Sal,
I don't own any progears, but aren't the side plates made if metal?  that wouldn't shave down to well without a CNC would it?
Thanks for the pointers,
Dom
Here you go, Dom and guys. Working on aluminum  is also possible. I used carbite bits that come as a set with the dremel, dunk the bit in grease every 15 seconds or so and make the tool do the work, don't rush it. I did this free hand, the shaving could be cleaner using better tools. A coil spring will not work here, you need to re-shape the dog, as I showed you earlier and use a flat spring, not a big deal. I must really like you guys, it's not easy to take a chance on a $50 plate ;D

I'm waiting on a stainless steel handle for my reel/tank...I will post some pictures when I put it together. Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Irish Jigger

You're a brave man Sal, very nice work.

Harry

Nice job Sal, im watching this post with great interest !

broadway

Awesome job, Sal... thanks for showing us the way.  I would throw some clear nail polish on that bare metal if ya didn't already. 
That things a beast!
Thanks again,
Dom

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 11, 2011, 11:20:53 PM
I must really like you guys, it's not easy to take a chance on a $50 plate ;D
Sal
You know you love us.  Tell the truth we make your day :).  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Harry on December 14, 2011, 01:44:49 PM
Nice job Sal, im watching this post with great interest !
Glad you're enjoing it, Harry.
Quote from: broadway on December 14, 2011, 06:00:40 PM
Awesome job, Sal... thanks for showing us the way.  I would throw some clear nail polish on that bare metal if ya didn't already. 
That things a beast!
Thanks again,
Dom
Just showing the basics Dom, you need to take it from there. Anything would help there, grease or a couple of drops of tsi301. But if nail polish is your thing, go for it :-* ;D
Quote from: Pescachaser on December 14, 2011, 06:10:47 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on December 11, 2011, 11:20:53 PM
I must really like you guys, it's not easy to take a chance on a $50 plate ;D
Sal

You know you love us.  Tell the truth we make your day :).  Dominick
You know it  ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

O.K. fellas, I got all of the parts that I needed then I said to myself, "Well, Alan really deserves the credit here because he is the motivation behind these ideas that we post here" so, thanks Alan!
Here are a couple of pictures of the assembly...

I started working on the bearings (I decided to leave them open on this one!)

Next, I set the drags. I prefer to use the same CF drag for under the gear...it has been working out well for me.

Next, I set the bridge and the main gear. I then pulled the bridge out gently which keeps all the drags stacked in place.

I then set the 2 dogs in place and set the bridge in.

Next, I installed the Tiburon Frame (please note that this frame has been manufactured in a way that it gets installed without the inner ring) nice product!

Next, I set the Newell spool in (nice, tight fit)              

Now, I install the left side plate

The handle goes in next. I really like these stainless steel handles!

I finally broke down and decided to use my Alan Tani wrench. Great tool, thanks, Alan!
...Here is the finished product...

I wouldn't be too worried about pushing this little "tank" to 25 lbs. or more! Hope you all enjoy it! Sal

Norcal Pescador

Very nice, Sal. ;)  I still say you should be a consulting design engineer at Penn. 8)
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Dominick

Hey Sal:  I have a 113H sitting in my garage doing nothing.  I was under the impression that one could not put 25lbs of drag on that reel because the side plates and bearing would not take it.  Does wrapping them around a Tiburon frame make the whole set-up stronger?  I also see that you have a new 5 stack drag and stainless sleeve.  Anything else?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

broadway

Dominick,
       Looks like Sal's got a tib frame, set of stainless Newell 4:1 gear/pinion, stainless yoke, juiced up stainless handle, twin dogs, stainless sleeve, and a 5:1 stack (as you mentioned), and don't be surprised if Sal's got a screw longer or a spring stronger than the standard here or there ;) ... She's loaded!  I wouldn't put a constant 25 on her, but she will surely max out somewhere up there before a failure. How long are we gonna wanna hold onto 25lbs. of drag for anyway?!  The tiburon frame keeps the spool, frame, and rest of the reel in alignment for the most efficient operation without creating a stress point at every post...the frame supports the reel 360 degrees.

Hey Sal,
if the clear nail polish don't work try some lipstick ;D
Again... nice job, pal!

Rob,
Maybe he should start his own company... with all of us as consultants, of course! ...imagine the board meetings!!! ;D 

Alto Mare

Thanks guys! Dominick everyone is going to have their own opinion on this one, I personally believe that it could handle it.  Dom also made a good point, how long are you going to be able to hold that pressure. As for the parts that I used on this reel, Dom pretty much got it covered, except the gears.... these are 4:1 Accurate, not Newell. I was going to order a stainless steel clicker spring, but changed my mind. The clicker tongue is beefier than the stock though amd that's about it.

Dom, will ChapStick work? I use a lot of that ;)

Sal

Keta

You are forcing me to spend money on another project/toy, nice work!!!
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

broadway

I guess I didn't get a good look, they look spur cut not helical. Regardless, she's the beast from the east!
Chapstick sounds good!  ;)
Dom