Penn 113h Reel/Tank

Started by Alto Mare, December 02, 2011, 02:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomT

Steelfish,
I agree.  I fish Baja for months at a time and usually go out with Mexican Capitans that want to slow troll with bait.  They are used to reels like the 113h and 114h's.  They want you to put your reel in free spool and with the clicker on.  Then loop your line over the harness lugs and wait for a fish.  The ONLY downside to this style of fishing for me with the 113hn is the free spool---There is WAY to much free spool for this style of fishing & the lack of harness lugs, but I usually use my Baja Special anyway and have to keep more alert than the others using a 113h, etc.(Bottom line is I would be happier if my Baja Special did not have as much free spool.   In Baja we usually don't weigh our fish, but I have never had my Baja Special fail on anything from dorado, tuna, yellowtail, to marlin and or amberjack.  I also have some tanked 113h's & 114h's that relatives use and we have no problems with them either.  The only downside to my tanked reels is I am never sure which reel is the MOST tanked.  They all work equally well, but (maybe it's just me) but I have NEVER seen a Baja Special failing on a fish.
TomT

broschro

I have seen failures on the baja.dogs and the dog springs
seam to be the weakest link. 113h tank all day.i have been fishing mine for 3yrs without a problem. 

johndtuttle

Quote from: TomT on July 19, 2015, 03:59:32 AM
Steelfish,
I agree.  I fish Baja for months at a time and usually go out with Mexican Capitans that want to slow troll with bait.  They are used to reels like the 113h and 114h's.  They want you to put your reel in free spool and with the clicker on.  Then loop your line over the harness lugs and wait for a fish.  The ONLY downside to this style of fishing for me with the 113hn is the free spool---There is WAY to much free spool for this style of fishing & the lack of harness lugs, but I usually use my Baja Special anyway and have to keep more alert than the others using a 113h, etc.(Bottom line is I would be happier if my Baja Special did not have as much free spool.   In Baja we usually don't weigh our fish, but I have never had my Baja Special fail on anything from dorado, tuna, yellowtail, to marlin and or amberjack.  I also have some tanked 113h's & 114h's that relatives use and we have no problems with them either.  The only downside to my tanked reels is I am never sure which reel is the MOST tanked.  They all work equally well, but (maybe it's just me) but I have NEVER seen a Baja Special failing on a fish.
TomT

Tom, your Baja Special has harness lugs. They may have been reversed and tucked into the body but they are there. :)

johndtuttle

Quote from: broschro on July 19, 2015, 01:05:34 PM
I have seen failures on the baja.dogs and the dog springs
seam to be the weakest link. 113h tank all day.i have been fishing mine for 3yrs without a problem. 

And hundreds and hundreds of Baja Specials have been fished for over a decade catching thousands and thousands of fish without a problem.

If I had a nickel for any and every reel that has ever had a dog fail I would be rich. Sprung dogs are the best, but all of them have some degree of trouble.

The point is you hear of one problem out of hundreds and hundreds of reels and you condemn the reel categorically. Yet you fish your one reel a little and proclaim them all like it (most never having been fished) as great reels. See the disconnect there?

The Tank project is amazing good fun for the DiY crowd and a fantastic way to breath new life into old classics. But they do not yet remotely have the track record of the Baja Special et al.

I am hopeful, but we need more of a track record for Tanks at high drag loads on fish. Specifically how the gears and side plate hold up to cranking under load with the degree of handle slop due to limited support seen in the 113H.

Remember, if you know your history of the Baja Special they originally did not have bearings supporting the handle. This was added after some time of on the water testing....There probably is a lesson there.

basto

You can slow down your free spool by using heavier grease or oil in your bearings. An old distance caster`s tool.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

broschro

Not trying to start a pissing match. I have been fishing  my tank for 3 years straight.only problem I had was with the CF under the drag now changed out no more problems. I've been fishing mine very hard sometimes two times a week I believe it's tested.my buddy broke 4 bajas in less one year still fishing the old 113h reels. So i will not buy one just my 2 cents.by all means buy one if you like them

Tightlines667

Quote from: johndtuttle on July 20, 2015, 07:06:04 PM
Remember, if you know your history of the Baja Special they originally did not have bearings supporting the handle. This was added after some time of on the water testing....There probably is a lesson there.

I think Sal may be working on the idea of a bushing to provide additional support between the gear sleeve and sideplate on the tank.  The SS jigmaster spacers more or less serve this purpose when used with aluminum or stainless sideplates since they provide a tight fit.  I think the idea provides merit for the Bajas and US113 as well.  
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

johndtuttle

Quote from: broschro on July 20, 2015, 10:55:05 PM
Not trying to start a pissing match. I have been fishing  my tank for 3 years straight.only problem I had was with the CF under the drag now changed out no more problems. I've been fishing mine very hard sometimes two times a week I believe it's tested.my buddy broke 4 bajas in less one year still fishing the old 113h reels. So i will not buy one just my 2 cents.by all means buy one if you like them

What was the problem?

BigJT

Hi All,

I have an older model 113H (red) that was converted to a Narrow model w/ Accurate Frame and Spool some 12+ years ago.  However the frame is not "topless", the gearing not changes or the drags not increased. 
I am about to order a Tiburon Topless frame, so do I need to also order a Tiburon spool to match or will the Accurate spool I have now work (Tiburon sells a set)?
Do I need to upgrade the gearing to the higher gear ratio?   
Do I need to upgrade the drags?
Do I need to "tank" out this reel (SS guts, dbl dogs) etc?

I plan on fishing this as a #40 bait set up w/ a Calstar 6480 or 875H. 

Any help is greatly appreciated.   

Gracias,

JT

Bryan Young

Hi JT,

for a 40# set up, the current set up would be just fine.  You don't need go change a thing...but you may want to service your reel and replace drag washers if they have been contaminated by other oils or grease.

I know others here would disagree because we all like upgrades, but for your fishing needs, it's not necessary.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

RowdyW

JT, if you are going to get a Tib. topless frame I would get it as a set with the spool. Then you can either save the Accurate set for another reel at a later date or sell it as a set.    RUDY

foakes

Quote from: Bryan Young on December 28, 2015, 04:26:22 PM
Hi JT,

for a 40# set up, the current set up would be just fine.  You don't need go change a thing...but you may want to service your reel and replace drag washers if they have been contaminated by other oils or grease.

I know others here would disagree because we all like upgrades, but for your fishing needs, it's not necessary.

Bryan

Agree with Bryan, 100%, JT --

Yes, you could do all of the things you mentioned -- but they are not necessary.

New 7 stack drags, Delrin under gear washer, Cal's, good handle that you are comfortable using under pressure.

Then just keep that handle nut tight.

40 pound rig all day long.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

BigJT

Thanks for the responses Bryan, Rudy & Fred, 

I ordered the Topless Kit (frame & spool) from Tib last night and will definitely service the reel and swap out the drags before my next LR trip.   Now to read/learn about 7 stack drags....  Thanks again.

Gracias,

JT

Bryan Young

Hi JT,

Send me a private message if you are interested in a 7 stack drag kit.  Really not needed for your application, but I think it's a nice improvement.

If and only if your handle to gear sleeve is wobbly, I would also upgrade the gears sleeve and anti-reverse dog to stainless.  I have these from Alan as well if you need them and want to handle in one transaction.  I don't have delrin under gear washers though.  I haven't tested them yet but will shortly with Alan's line winder after the holidays.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

vilters

another vote here for stainless sleeve and dog. you are already upgrading frame/spool. I'm also a big fan of Bryan's drag kits. with all these upgrades, you'll be loaded for elephant 8)