Penn 113h Reel/Tank

Started by Alto Mare, December 02, 2011, 02:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Makule

Justin, thank you.

With 25 lb or even 30 lb, do you think there should be no problem with damaging the gears?  If so, that's how I will fish it.

Quote from: redsetta on February 28, 2012, 08:46:44 PM
G'day Makule,
I realise you asked the question of Alan, but I also built a tank like Sal's, with all the same upgrades, and the highest I've registered on a scale is 35lbs - with the star fully buttoned down.
I wouldn't fish it at this level, however - it was just a test of maximum capacity.
While it's yet to be pushed to the limit, the testing I've done indicates it'll happily pull a smooth 25lbs all day, with a little more to play with if the need arises.
Hope that helps.
Cheers, Justin
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

redsetta

Good point.
Drag settings in excess of 20lbs definitely have the potential to damage the standard brass main gear on a 4/0.
However, stainless is highly unlikely to fail at those kinds of loads (ie maxing out at 25-30lb).
Hope that helps, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

I'm with Justin, but I think that this reel would be happy at 25lb and under. If you need more punch, get yourself a narrow 114H with the same upgrades. The 114H has the same drags as the 115 ( 9/0 ). If you're concerned about running out of line, get yourself  the reel/tank big brother, the 114 WEX. I wouldn't be worried about pushing those reel to 30lb.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

redsetta

QuoteI think that this reel would be happy at 25lb and under. If you need more punch, get yourself a narrow 114H with the same upgrades...
x2.
Cheers, Justin

broadway

I would take Sal and Justin's souped up Penn's any day over other reels in their comparable range... I just trust them more, and of course know how to work on them a lil'  ;)
I still gotta juice my soon to be shark reels (114hlw's) up for battle this summer with the double dogs.  Maybe I should just bring Sal out... he could probably do it on the way out to the grounds with a rusty hook and some dental floss.  ;)
Dom

redsetta

Quote...he could probably do it on the way out to the grounds with a rusty hook and some dental floss...
No doubt. ;) ;D
Cheers for the inspiration Sal.
All the best, Justin

Makule

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 29, 2012, 01:57:35 AM
I'm with Justin, but I think that this reel would be happy at 25lb and under. If you need more punch, get yourself a narrow 114H with the same upgrades. The 114H has the same drags as the 115 ( 9/0 ). If you're concerned about running out of line, get yourself  the reel/tank big brother, the 114 WEX. I wouldn't be worried about pushing those reel to 30lb.

The idea of using the 113H is primarily due to its lighter weight, for me.  I have had the 114H, and still do fish with the 115, but age has been challenging my casting ability so I'm trying to get the lightest reel with the toughest drag.  Ideally, 300 yards of 80 lb mono would be comfortable, but even 200 yards with very good drag would probably suffice.  Many people here use the Newell reels, but they don't have the "guts" for me (somewhat fragile, weaker drags, etc.). 

I mentioned to Sal in email that I saw a guy get spooled this weekend while using his Newell 546 filled with about 300 yards of 80 mono.  The strike lasted less than 2 minutes and from start to finish the rod didn't come up an inch.  It was so fast and furious that the guy left the rod in the holder (he couldn't, or wouldn't, take it out, apparently), and I guess he was cranking down on the drag until the "bitter end" and then "crack", the line was all gone.  Only nice spool left.  I mention this because this is the kind of challenge I'm trying to deal with.  While I'm not convinced that a 113H Tank will do any different, as I've seen 6/0s get stripped as well, at least I might have a better chance than with a Newell (that's what I can tell myself anyway).

My constraints are:  The reel needs to be cast far (more than 100 yards); The line must be mono because braid will cut on the rocks every time (we do not fish in sand);  The capacity should be at least 300 yards of 80 mono; The drag must be very strong;  The gears must be very strong; and The frame must be very strong.  The 113H Tank fills all those requirements except for the line capacity.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

redsetta

G'day Makule,
Just to add a bit more info, I only managed to spool about 250 yards of 50lb Momoi on my narrow 113H...
Cheers, Justin

Alto Mare

Albert, the 113h reel/tank  weights 1lb15oz
                113hlw.......................2lb2oz
                 114hl narrow..................2lb12oz
                 114hl.........................2lb14oz
                 114wex                      3lb
Sorry, I don't have the standard 113hl. Thanks to Lee I had to take it apart again to give it the ss dogs, I'm guessing 2lb on that one.
Unfortunately you can't have everything that you're looking for in one package, you have to compromise.
All of these reels are castable, but I also understand what you're saying about getting old and not being able to handle heavy reels.
I just want to mention that the narrow 114H is 14oz heavier than the 113h reel/tank. Sal
If you do find a lighter reel able to handle 30lb...good luck with it.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

Mak,

I think the 100 yard toss with 80lb mono is gonna be a difficult feat as well, with the reel tank or "almost" (can't think of any that you can off the top of my head)any other reel for that matter.  You guys must use some sick shock leaders! Maybe you should look for one of those harpoon guns (greenies) from "Jaws" to shoot your bait out there.  ;D ;)
Dom

Makule

Sal, thanks for the weight comparison.  That's good information.

QuoteI think the 100 yard toss with 80lb mono is gonna be a difficult feat as well, with the reel tank or "almost" (can't think of any that you can off the top of my head)any other reel for that matter.  You guys must use some sick shock leaders! Maybe you should look for one of those harpoon guns (greenies) from "Jaws" to shoot your bait out there.

Yeah, it's not the easiest thing to do, but with practice it can be done.  Some of the "power" casters were able to launch the anchor out a good 150 yards, and that's with 9/0 and 80 lb mono.  I maxed out my 9/0 casts at about 90 yards.  The 6/0 with 80 would go 120 yards.  Never used a 4/0 because that wouldn't hold enough line (cast maybe 175 yards and have 25 yards of 80 lb mono left).

We use between 30 and 50 lb mono for our anchor lines, and I actually do have sort of a harpoon gun to fire the anchor.  It will shoot the anchor 1/4 mile but it's very cumbersome and time consuming to set up.  Sometimes 1/4 mile is too far anyway.  I still do take it out once in a great while and use it with my 12/0 or 14/0.

broadway

That's hardcore fishing right there.... You cannon out your baits.  ;)You must be shot by days end, huh? I would give the tank a shot especially with that extra wide tib frame. Good luck on your decision and be careful ya don't get pulled off those rocks by any whales you may hook   ;D
Dom

Makule

QuoteGood luck on your decision and be careful ya don't get pulled off those rocks by any whales you may hook

That's what knives and cutting pliers are for.  As a matter of fact, a few guys have got hung up on whales that came very close.  It's a no-brainer to just cut the line at the reel.  Since I'm cheap, though, I'd probably try to hang on and hope the line breaks at the whale end.  I don't worry about being pulled in or losing the outfit because the reels are always tied down with a nice rope (3/8 to 1/2").

BTW, "makule" is the Hawaiian word for "old".

Bryan Young

Had a whale get tied up with my friends pole once.  We all casted out, and getting ready to slide the first bait, then wham...  His 4/0 extended started screaming.  We were all stunned because we were all getting the baits ready to slide for the evening, then the whale surface and snap!  Spool emply and we were still sitting holding our slides.  Brand new Maxima 80# gone in one heart best.  Can be exciting.  We were all teasing him for casting out too far for the entire night. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

broadway

It sure would be exciting to hook into a whale!  :o
I don't think I'd cut it either... maybe just jam a foot between a couple rocks and hang on ;)
Be safe out there,
Dom