Penn 113h Reel/Tank

Started by Alto Mare, December 02, 2011, 02:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broschro

Quote from: Caranx on March 04, 2012, 02:07:51 AM
I like those side plate screws. Are those specialized for the 113h?
I got those from jvariance  when i bought some plates i emailed him and he hooked me up whith a set for cheap.I think you can find these at some hardware stores.

Makule

My machinist friend is checking into the possibility of having some 4:1 SS gears cut.  Is there any interest in these?  If so, what's the price at which it would become unaffordable (no sense pursuing it if it's too costly)?
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Makule

There may be a way of increasing the braking power using the carbon tex washers, but it will take modification to the sleeve, sleeve post, gears, and an addition of another washer-like piece.  Aside from, "Because I just want it", is there any reason not to pursue this?  Would anyone be interested in this?
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Makule on March 06, 2012, 12:26:59 AM
My machinist friend is checking into the possibility of having some 4:1 SS gears cut.  Is there any interest in these?  If so, what's the price at which it would become unaffordable (no sense pursuing it if it's too costly)?
I know I'm being picky, but can he do helical cuts on those gears?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Makule

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 06, 2012, 01:54:13 AM
Quote from: Makule on March 06, 2012, 12:26:59 AM
My machinist friend is checking into the possibility of having some 4:1 SS gears cut.  Is there any interest in these?  If so, what's the price at which it would become unaffordable (no sense pursuing it if it's too costly)?
I know I'm being picky, but can he do helical cuts on those gears?

As a matter of factoid, the machinist was the one who pointed out that the pinion gear was helical cut.  Don't recall if the main gear is also helical cut (don't think so).  Anyway, the gears will be cut the same way as the original (unless someone has a better idea).

seaeagle2

I can't believe it would be too hard to get gears made, I was going to check out some companies around here, when I went to the phone book, they are all basically in the shadow of one the largest aircraft manufacturers in the world, so right now, I think they're probably too busy to mess with it. For a ball park price 40 to 60 bucks I'd be snapping them up for all my reels, much above that I'd be thinking hard.
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

Makule

Quote from: seaeagle2 on March 06, 2012, 04:51:29 AM
I can't believe it would be too hard to get gears made, I was going to check out some companies around here, when I went to the phone book, they are all basically in the shadow of one the largest aircraft manufacturers in the world, so right now, I think they're probably too busy to mess with it. For a ball park price 40 to 60 bucks I'd be snapping them up for all my reels, much above that I'd be thinking hard.

So, 40 to 60 for the main and pinion together?

broschro

Quote from: Makule on March 06, 2012, 04:59:20 AM

So, 40 to 60 for the main and pinion together?
i will take a set or two

Makule

Cutting the gear, per se, is not hard.  It's the fussing with it afterwards that raises the cost.  The main gear needs to be hollowed out for the brakes to fit, and the teeth removed from about 1/2 of the height  (not too bad).  The pinion gear needs to be slotted (one narrow slot for the yoke to slide into, and slotted/beveled to fit into the spool drive shaft.   It also needs a narrow ring over one end.  It's all this other manual stuff that gear manufacturers don't really do on a big scale that increases the cost.  If the tooling was all set up to make all the cuts, and the only manual part would be to fit on the ring, then it's fairly inexpensive when making a large quantity.  In our case, since we're not talking about large quantities, it's basically like a "one of" production so lots of manual labor involved.  Not difficult since even I can do it (if I had the machines).

Makule

My attempt to modify my 113HLW is not going well.  First, SS dogs needed to have a corner rounded out so as not to bind with the spring.  No big deal, just a bit more time/effort (easy).  The side plate was "routered" out to accept the second dog but I cut it just a tiny bit too wide.  Again, not really a big deal, but being a wannabe machinist, I a bit anal about things like that.  Incidentally, the SS that was used to make the dogs is hard stuff.

Second, got a replacement Penn HT100 kit to upgrade the brakes from the three disks to 5 (?) disks.  Also put one carbontex disk under the main gear.  Didn't have Cal's grease (but will be ordering some from Dawn soon) so a bit of Corrosion-X was applied to each disk.  Everything seemed to go together fine, except that the highest the brakes will do is about 15-16 lb (straight pull out of the reel, no rod).  I'm assuming that is how you guys are measuring the braking power since different rods will influence the amount of drag differently.

I have four of these reels and this is the first to be modified.  The other three reels all deliver about the same maximum drag (between 10 to 13 lbs).  It is quite possible that something is not right, but it seems to have been put together correctly.  I'm disappointed not to be able to get 25 lb. braking.

Squirmypug

Makule I don't think Corrosion-X is good for drags, try to clean them off with carb cleaner and let them dry then install them.If you can't get more drag with them dry you may need to add a spacer washer to increase stack hight to prevent the star from bottoming on the sideplate.
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

Alto Mare

Albert, you should be getting close to 30lb, bottoned down all the way. I actually still had a little left on my drag, but didn't want to put a hole in the wall or myself. You would still fish it under 25lb though, but it does have a little more if needed.
I'm glad you brought up the new dog. Yes, on some plates you need to shave the sharp corner by the spring area, I just do it to all of my dogs. This is an easy fix, I just file it down. Maybe Lee can hit them with the wheel when cleaning them, I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem. About cutting the the grove too wide, you need to slow down, you're getting too excited ;D. I'm sure that you will find a way to fix it, there are a few options. Take care, Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 07, 2012, 12:20:48 PM
Maybe Lee can hit them with the wheel when cleaning them, I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem.

Yes, the first batch fit my 113H side plate but there must be some variation.  Post a drawing or photo of one with where the problem metal is and I'll correct the next batch.   A fine file or stone will work for removing small amounts of metal.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

broschro

Quote from: Keta on March 07, 2012, 02:21:30 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on March 07, 2012, 12:20:48 PM
Maybe Lee can hit them with the wheel when cleaning them, I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem.

Yes, the first batch fit my 113H side plate but there must be some variation.  Post a drawing or photo of one with where the problem metal is and I'll correct the next batch.   A fine file or stone will work for removing small amounts of metal.
I had to round mine i bit to work they work fine now.

Keta

Let me know where.  I'll reimburse anyone double what they paid for the first batch of dogs if you are not 100% happy  ;D
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain