Penn 113h Reel/Tank

Started by Alto Mare, December 02, 2011, 02:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Well, I hate to tell you guys, but I believe that the "Tank" got noticed from my reply to a post on BD.
They had a survey there about the Baja vs YTS, I don't do much activities there, but  I couldn't help myself. I replied that my Tank could outfish the Baja.
And that's how we got noticed. By the way, I do believe that the Tank can outfish the Baja ;D
Sal
PS, the reply from Mr. Carson was nice though ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

seaeagle2

"I'm guessing there are not more than a few dozen Tanks in use worldwide, so its a pretty unique item.",  That's the part I like, I'm always in for something a little different than everybody else.  I've got two that are "half tracks" cause I did everything but the double dog. I butchered one side plate, then saw that Jvariance is going to make his next run of side plates double dog compatible so I'm just going to wait for those to come out.
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

Harry

Cangrats sal , well deserved recognition mate!

Alto Mare

Thanks Harry...just a grain of sand in a full wheelbarrow, compared to some of the guys around here.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

x3 on what george posted, a well deserved recogniton Sal... :)

Danhans

well done Sal..you deserved a medal!  ;D

johndtuttle

Hey guys,

Thanks to Sal for the inspiration.

Question: Has anyone tried making their second dog shorter to reduce the back play? In all the mods I've seen so far the dogs are the identical length and both essentially engage at the same time. I would be interested in a system where they engaged seperately (ie instead of ....click............click...........click  as you turn the handle you get a ...click...click...click...click...click...click) with less back play as I find the amount the stock 113H has an annoying amount of backplay before the dog engages.

Thx in advance for all replies.

alantani

what we should be doing is changing the "star" at the base of the gear sleeve and maybe even make it a little larger so that the pressure against the dog is less. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ron Jones

I've been thinking the same thing, Alan. Their is a thread on here with a Penn spinner ratchet with twice as many teeth, I think something should be able to be done on the conventional reels.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

G6

Stupid question !!!! doesnt the stainless steal affect the weight and balance of reel ?

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Irish Jigger

Quote from: redsetta on September 21, 2012, 08:08:48 AM
Stainless is all good ;) ;D
x2
Stainless steel is lighter than brass so it's a win-win situation, stronger parts,lighter reel and less angler fatigue. ;)

LTM

Sal, well deserved acknowledgement for your efforts and thanx. I think there are more than a few dozen "tanks" (or will be) thanx to this post by you (add 3 more for my tanks). So Sal; what you gonna do about your tank out fishing the Baja Special? :o  As Spanky and the gang from the old series "The Little Rascals" would say: "you know THIS MEANS WAR :o!!!!!!!!  Nothing like stirring-up a little friendly competition and Ive kept up with this entire post and you have stated adimently that your tank will kick the Baja Specials butt ;D.  Wel Sal, I believe and have FAITH in your TANK and look forward to this SHOWDOWN at twelve noon on Main street in front of the saloon with all the townies split on two sides (Tanks vs Baja Specials). Dont forget Sal; the "dancing girls" from the saloon who just "love the winner" ;D
Seiriously Sal, I for one would love a shoot-out between the two reels.  I must agree with Steve Carson from Penn in regards to the cost to build a Tank.  If it wasnt for me purchasing and converting my 113HN's with gears, frame, spool back in the early 80's prior to my first Long Range trips I would opt for the Baja Special today due to price.  HOWEVER, Ive got these old-school 113HN's and Im loving tinkering with them and the cost is marginal to upgrade them to TANK status as opposed to buying a new Baja Special. Now on to the 7+1 drag upgrade for mine.
BTW. a SS gear with more teeth for the double dogs would be EXCELLENT so lets "do this."  At the rate were going with this TANK project we will soon be reaching the maximum for structural integrity of the frame and internal parts.  So I ask the question: What do you think is the structural max  for this  reel?  Ive been thinking of adding a second dog to my Daiwa 600H via adding a second post to the plate and another dog plus the 7+1 drag stack.

Thanx,

Leo

alantani

the next logical step would be a set of hardened stainless steel high speed gears. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

johndtuttle

Given that we are maxing out these babies to be all they can be....

Question: I have been looking at the spacing sleeves (#9-113h) and wonder if it could be replaced by a needle bearing that is 0.500 x 0.6875 x 0.3125 ??? http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-inventory/Needle-Bearings/1036/0-5x0-6875x0-3125-SCE85
This is inspired by the bearing that supports the handle in the Baja Special.

On my old reel, there is quite a bit of clearance from the spacing sleeve to the side plate and wonder if one of these might be a good choice to bring it flush to the housing and prevent flex of the gear sleeve at the handle and seal the reel better??

Your thoughts gurus???

best