Completed JM 501 W/Lee-Pro Plates for PJ

Started by foakes, April 07, 2020, 01:37:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Finished up PJ's little 501 this morning.

He has used it fairly extensively over the last 3 years.

These custom builds sometimes take a little finesse to get them dialed in.  Tolerances are tight.

Installed one of Bryan's drag stacks, a new jack & eccentric, and a tension spring.

Also did a beveled modification on one of Ted's fantastic shift levers in order for the center-line crank blade to clear -- then replaced the old factory shift lever.

Free spool is long -- and the drag is very strong.

When I built this for PJ a few years ago -- it was also magged at that time.

Will send it out tomorrow, PJ.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Maxed Out

Nice work Fred. Mini tank

Tom makes a lower profile lever that gives better clearance for offset blades. I doubt anyone will notice the shaved lever

I see your green jigmaster in the background. I have green blade I'll donate to that future build.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

pjstevko

Looks great Fred! I can't wait to check it out... Send me a PayPal invoice and I will get you paid asap

Thanks again

Alto Mare

Nice job as usual Fred! I see 4 more kits ready to go.
Your tag and bag are a nice touch.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Beautiful reel Fred (and PJ).  Love the colors!

foakes

Quote from: Maxed Out on April 07, 2020, 02:23:22 AM

Nice work Fred. Mini tank

Tom makes a lower profile lever that gives better clearance for offset blades. I doubt anyone will notice the shaved lever

I see your green jigmaster in the background. I have green blade I'll donate to that future build.

Ted

Thanks, Ted!

I also need to talk to you about purchasing some parts for about (10) custom Jig Master builds --

Will need your advice and expertise on this.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

Any opinions on Lee-Pro plates relative to other non-Penn(Newell too?) aluminium plates?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

xjchad

Husband, Father, Fisherman

foakes

Quote from: Gfish on April 07, 2020, 05:52:14 PM
Any opinions on Lee-Pro plates relative to other non-Penn(Newell too?) aluminium plates?

I don't personally know of many differences -- PJ just had these lightly used plates that he wanted a reel built from.

Oftentimes, the older aftermarket side-plates (Accurate, Lee-Pro, etc.) frames, spools, and components will not easily piece together without a little knowledge, experience, and modifications.

What I do know -- is that Tom's (Cortez Conversions) plates are the best ever produced for these reels.

No need to look any further -- Tom's plates (and all of his other amazing products) fit perfectly with Ted's or Randy's or Alan C's offerings (frames, spools, etc.).

With the amount of clever manufacturers on our site -- we have a unique mix of parts that match up.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

scrinch

Nice work, Fred. I like the details...down to the color of the line and the friction wrap to coordinate with the spool!

Gfish

I love The Cortez Classic Plates got, 4 pairs. I like the Accuplates too, but they might be on the heavy side for some. Also, a used pair A.P.'s can cost alot.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

--------

Fred O.

pjstevko

Quote from: foakes on April 10, 2020, 11:23:09 PM
Mailed from PO today, PJ --

Best, Fred

Thanks Fred! I'll let you know when it arrives

foakes

Quote from: pjstevko on April 11, 2020, 02:42:42 AM
Quote from: foakes on April 10, 2020, 11:23:09 PM
Mailed from PO today, PJ --

Best, Fred

Thanks Fred! I'll let you know when it arrives

ETA is Monday in Three Rivers, 4/13.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.