Started by Christopher M Songer, March 25, 2020, 11:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher M Songer

Cleaning up with all the down time and I found this in my closet on a rod I had forgotten about. Did not look promising as I get deeper into it. Oh well The bent arm is my big hang up. Can someone post a picture so I can tell how it is suppose to look.
Always go forward, never go straight

foakes

Hi Chris --

The brass oscillation arm has been twisted, plus that black phillips head screw is incorrect.

Should have the arm, connecting block, (2) screws, and (2) lockwashers.

I can send you the parts.

And your Dam Quick 110 Microlite is almost done.  Instead of just fixing the line-lay issue -- I just decided to do a full restore including wrinkle oven baked paint, some new parts, and a complete disassemble, cleaning, and service.  I will post a photo tonight or tomorrow.  Just wanted it right since it was coming off my bench.  It will be as new.  The painting takes a little longer due to the prep time, taping, the process, the baking to get the factory wrinkle, and I generally like to let them set/cure 24 hours after the frame, rotor, bearing switch cover, sideplate, and badge are out of the oven.

That old 550 will turn out excellent.  They are very heavy duty salt water reels.  Things to look out for might be the main bearing due to salt, plus the various springs, and drags.

I will ship your 110 back tomorrow, along with these parts -- you won't need a new spool shaft.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Christopher M Songer

basto

I had a very similar problem with a 550 binding at a certain position of the gear revolution.
I thought it was a bent spool shaft but no . I pulled it down and inspected the occilation arm and it looked straight to me.
I decided to loosen the 2 screws on the arm where they join the spool shaft and try a turn on the handle. Things improved and I tried a few more turns on the 2 screws in and out until the reel was running well.

In my case the bottom screw that goes into the spool shaft was best in its stock position and the top screw out a few turns, so I decided to put its spring washer between the block and the occilation arm.

Just a bit of shimming really.
Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Christopher M Songer

Thanks Greg, good info. I got the new arm and block from Fred but have not had time to get back to the 550 yet. Wish me luck.

basto

Yes Christopher, there are so many little variables that can affect a smooth running reel. I have even had bent circlips that go unnoticed until they have to be removed. You should be OK with new parts.
all the best!
Greg

Beachmaster

Just curious, what sort of drag numbers can you expect out of a 550?

basto

I would expect around 15lbs maximum. I think it has the same drag as the 270 Super.
Sal has a good post on the 270 in which I think he talks about drag.
I have not used my 550 yet. Only had it for a couple of weeks.
Greg