Tranx question

Started by Jenx, January 02, 2018, 04:17:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenx

I have been considering buying a Tranx 400, and I currently have a tentative agreement to buy a used one. However, today, while selling one of my Curado's to fund my purchase of the Tranx, the buyer, who happened to be a big Shimano lover, told me to stay away from the 300 and 400 sized Tranx's. He stated that the Malaysian made tranx's are not as good, and that the bearings, among other things, are of inferior quality. For those of you who own, or have used both the Japanese (500) and Malaysian TRanx's, have you noticed this to be true?

I have met a few Shimano diehards, and they are very passionate about all things Shimano, but I often wonder - based on, mind you, no first hand experience of my own - whether or not their dislike of Malaysian made Shimano reels is warranted. So far I have not been interested in the 500 size Tranx, as it is too big for my liking, but if it is in fact built better than the other two sizes then I might reconsider buying it.

Thanks.

Zimbass

I do not own the new Tranx series of reels, but, do know that those that do are over the moon with them.

There are those that will tell you that only Japan made Shimano reels are worth buying. I used to think the same when they first started manufacturing in Malaysia, and some of the cosmetics of these reels were not up to what was expected. It must have come to the attention of Shimano, as their later production has been on par with Japan.

As I was told by Bantam 1, the factory in Malaysia is managed by Japanese, with quality control been done by Japanese. This shows in their latest models coming out of this facility, where build quality is great.

Buy it. You won't regret it. (IMHO)

Terry.
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

Cor

I have 3 Tranx 500 HG's and now use them exclusively.   They do what they are supposed to very well and I am satisfied with their performance.

If I have any complaint it is that the level winding mechanism needs frequent attention and repair, but that may well be par for the course as I do fish a lot more than most people.

No experience of the new and smaller models.
Cornelis