How to hook and fight a fish on the fly

Started by Benni3, April 20, 2020, 03:20:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wfjord

I've never caught or seen a GT, but sure caught a lot of JC :).  They pretty much look alike in pictures I've seen of GT.  JC can get pretty big and punchy, but GT must get considerably bigger.
;D

Donnyboat

Most GT`s that I have caught, although not much larger than 8 Kg, have a very soft mouths, if you try to put to much presser on them, you will pull the hook, try to stop them from getting under a shelf by all means, but steady steady, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

jurelometer

Quote from: Donnyboat on April 22, 2020, 01:50:53 AM
Most GT`s that I have caught, although not much larger than 8 Kg, have a very soft mouths, if you try to put to much presser on them, you will pull the hook, try to stop them from getting under a shelf by all means, but steady steady, cheers Don.

I was taught to break their will as fast as possible. 

My biggest GT on the fly was estimated at 40 kilos.   I couldn't put the brakes on at first, because it coughed up a pretty big half digested tuskfish (a kilo or two) that got tangled in the running line.   Once I shook off the the tuskfish and tightened up the drag it was at the boat relatively uneventfully.  Had a nice corner hookset in the mouth.  Which was good, as it would have chewed right through the 40 lb leader. But my gawd, Brett spotting the fish, waiting for it to get into range, and not screwing up my one and only shot at it - my heart starts to pound every time that I think of it.   Fishing report with photo here: https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=19715.0

I don't remember pulling the hook on many GTs.   I have tossed hookless poppers as teasers at them with conventional gear.  It is amazing how long a GT will hang onto a plug out of just sheer orneriness.  I haven't bait fished for them.  I never thought of them as soft mouthed like a true salmon, but I never really took a good look inside the mouth like Don has.  Next time I will!

Now those golden trevally that you get are a different story.  They never give up, no matter what you do.   Everybody wants to catch a GT, but I will take a goldie every time.

Quote from: wfjord on April 22, 2020, 12:27:32 AM
I've never caught or seen a GT, but sure caught a lot of JC :).  They pretty much look alike in pictures I've seen of GT.  JC can get pretty big and punchy, but GT must get considerably bigger.
;D

Then you know what it is like to fight a GT.   Where did you fish for JC?

I think that Pacific and Atlantic Jack Crevalle fight very similarly to GTs.  You can beat them quickly if you break their will.    They can be even more fussy about taking a fly than as GT, but are less skittish in shallow water.  I remember hooking what I thought might be a triple digit tarpon in murky water.  Turned out to be a "only" a big  JC.  Maybe 30 lbs.  JC don't get enough respect in my book.  GTs can get big, like over 60 kilos, but big GTs are pretty uncommon.

-J

Benni3

Quote from: Donnyboat on April 21, 2020, 04:05:47 PM
Yes Kim its all new to me to, benni, its not luck, you need good reflexes, to catch as many fish, that you & Marlo get, reel class, good fishermen, cheers Don.
Thanks my friend,,,,, :D but how many fish that don't get hooked or get off,,, :-\ yes that's happens to me alot,,,,, :o all you can do is all,,,, :'( and everybody got their own technology,,,,but it all comes down to what works and where you're at and on that fish,,,,, ;)and it all comes down to luck,,,,,,,I just keep rolling the dice,,,,,, ;D

wfjord

Quote from: jurelometer on April 22, 2020, 05:05:53 AM
Then you know what it is like to fight a GT.   Where did you fish for JC?

I think that Pacific and Atlantic Jack Crevalle fight very similarly to GTs.  You can beat them quickly if you break their will.    They can be even more fussy about taking a fly than as GT, but are less skittish in shallow water.  I remember hooking what I thought might be a triple digit tarpon in murky water.  Turned out to be a "only" a big  JC.  Maybe 30 lbs.  JC don't get enough respect in my book.  GTs can get big, like over 60 kilos, but big GTs are pretty uncommon.

-J

All my JC were caught around the west coast of Florida from Tampa Bay southward, around bridges, passes, boat channels, and/or grass flats.

Dominick

I'm into ripping lips.  Gonna have a tough time hooking a trout this summer.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Benni3

Quote from: Dominick on April 22, 2020, 05:52:50 PM
I'm into ripping lips.  Gonna have a tough time hooking a trout this summer.  Dominick
You are going to do it,,,,, ;D