Penn 4/0 Red Spool

Started by Limey, December 04, 2011, 10:20:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Quote from: broadway on December 05, 2011, 06:47:15 AM
Sorry Sal... just trying to help a fellow member.  You usually beat me to the punch, I shoulda known  :o
Dom

Nah, don't worry Dom. You did the right thing, as always. That spool has been up for grabs for over a week now. The seller says that he will take best offers, but, he doesn't budge.

Limey, $40 is still better that $68. Ask for free shipping, he'll probably go for it. Good luck!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Limey

Many thanks to all of you for the replies, taking the time is much appreciated.

I have now had the chance to take the reel apart and cleaned it properly.

I've a managed to get a discount black spool, a couple of stainless outer rings and chrome cross bars from Mick here in the UK for a few quid. As the remaining chrome/brass is so badly pitted, the graphite cross bars are unobtainable, the two remaining inner rings will are pitted chrome whilst the outers  will be stainless, and the side plates are scratched I'm going to rebuild it cheaply, strap it to my conger eel rod and go fishing with it. Then I can enjoy it in all its battered glory. I won't have to worry if I drop it. I don't think I could recoup the costs of a full restoration.

Cheers for looking out that red spool for me Irish Jigger. Very kind of you.

Tight lines and kind regards to all

Limey

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Limey on December 05, 2011, 03:21:01 PM
......... I'm going to rebuild it cheaply, strap it to my conger eel rod and go fishing with it. Then I can enjoy it in all its battered glory. I won't have to worry if I drop it.

Limey, just think how satisfying it will be when you are catching as well with your old 'beater' reel as the blokes with their fancy gold reels. ;D
Good luck to you!
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

broadway

Now ya just gotta worry about those conger teeth!
Dom

Limey

Message for Irish Jigger (and anyone else interested).

I had a few new Chinese made right side spool bearings for Surfmasters that sat the spool too far to the right. I had a friend in a machine shop shave 0.5mm or thereabouts off of the internal face of the bolt head to allow the bearing to sit further left. This seems to have worked and the spool now sits nicely centered. He says it was a difficult job and some of the threads were a bit flattened when I got them back so I will have to run them over with a die.

I think I might order a few old stock American made bearings from your side of the pond and keep them in store rather than go through all this hassle again.

Best of luck to all.

Limey

Irish Jigger

Glad you got it sorted Limey. Pity there are issues with the new bearings.
You have a PM.