Assembling a Tricked Out Surfmaster

Started by mo65, February 23, 2020, 11:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Quote from: Porthos on February 25, 2020, 06:18:02 AM
Hey Mo,

Though you have stated 30lb mono for catfish as your primary application, here's an assessment of what your 100 CAN DO...just in case you ever want to move up the reel's performance curve.

With all the internal modifications, the 5-stack and steel 5-60 should allow you to push up to 16+ lbs drag (my 27 with a standard 3-stack and smaller steel 5-155 will do 12lbs as a 40lb offshore setup). With 16+ lbs drag, we're looking at a potential 50 lb reel, but the limitation, IMHO, shifts from the internals to the 29L-100's capacity which I have found to hold about 325yds of 50lb solid braid. This, IMHO, is on the low side for a 50lb offshore setup.

This year I'm going to take on the expense and the gamble to spool up with 50lb hollow core to hopefully get 350+ yds on the 100- and 27- compatible aluminium Newell spool. The Newell has a curved profile going up to the spool lips vs. the more squared profile of the 29L-100; this curvature, I think, along with the flatter lay of the hollow core will afford additional capacity. Even with any increase of main line length, the 27 will still stay as a 40lb setup just because the smaller internals are a few notches lower in strength than what's in your 100.

Best,

Wai

P.S. One of ProChallenger's Jigmaster handle arms with one of Alan's handle grips would be another great upgrade on your 100...
Sounds good Wai!
Have you ever considered x 150 size?

Best,

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Petah

Very nice!!! Thanks for sharing!!!! I've been double dogging the bridgeplates on these.

Peter

Porthos

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 25, 2020, 06:56:53 AM
...Have you ever considered x 150 size?

Best,

Sal

Sal,

I do have a parts Surfmaster 150 that I thought about restoring but picked up the all metal Daiwa Sealine 30H/SMF 170 before that project ever took root.

Wai

mo65

With all the internal modifications, the 5-stack and steel 5-60 should allow you to push up to 16+ lbs drag (my 27 with a standard 3-stack and smaller steel 5-155 will do 12lbs as a 40lb offshore setup). With 16+ lbs drag, we're looking at a potential 50 lb reel, but the limitation, IMHO, shifts from the internals to the 29L-100's capacity which I have found to hold about 325yds of 50lb solid braid. This, IMHO, is on the low side for a 50lb offshore setup.

Hi Wai,
   Indeed, this setup will yield enough power to fish 50lb. line. The problem is I don't catch any fish tough enough to require that muscle.:D  On the other hand, where the tiny spool capacity hinders your 50lb. offshore setup, it's perfect for river fishing. I never use more than 100yds. of line. And these old reels cast great with quality 30lb. mono. After trying so many line types and weights, I find it almost disappointing that what works best for me is boring old 30lb. mono!

P.S. One of ProChallenger's Jigmaster handle arms with one of Alan's handle grips would be another great upgrade on your 100...

Guess what? I did order one of those Jiggy arms for this project, but felt the handle blade was just too long for this reel. I fell in love with that 112H handle on the little 100. It maintains a short arm, but has a knob twice the size of the stock knob. I think these slower 3:1 reels feel more natural with a short handle blade. That PC Jiggy handle blade is a long one. It will definitely be used on a future project. 8)

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 25, 2020, 06:56:53 AM
...Have you ever considered x 150 size?

Here's something I was also pondering . That size spool seems better for off shore fishing line capacity. I thought about taking my 150 parts from this project(spool, stand, and posts) and adding them to a Monofil headplate I have. I only need the tailplate, and so far that mud brown color has been absent on fleabay. :-\

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

xjchad

Beautiful reel Mo!
Do you think that second dog spring might "walk" up the slot or down the dog?

Ted, I'm not sure where Mo got the longer screws, but I've had good luck with McMaster Carr.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Decker

Sweeeet, Mo!   Is that stand a new product from Ted?  

I love those little 100, 27, 180 Penns.  With braid they are a good capacity for inshore bottom-fishing.   I've read Wai's posts on how he pushed the 27 Monofil to its limits too - good stuff.

Porthos

Quote from: mo65 on February 25, 2020, 03:17:14 PM
...I only need the tailplate, and so far that mud brown color has been absent on fleabay. :-\

Are you referring to the "Maroon" color?

mo65

Quote from: xjchad on February 25, 2020, 03:47:23 PM
Beautiful reel Mo!

So far no movement Chad. With the Take-Apart side it should be easy enough to keep an eye on. I'll let y'all know if it goes mobile.

Quote from: Decker on February 25, 2020, 03:53:19 PM
Sweeeet, Mo!   Is that stand a new product from Ted? 

Yes indeed, that is one of his new stands. https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=30389.0

Quote from: Porthos on February 25, 2020, 04:29:49 PM
Quote from: mo65 on February 25, 2020, 03:17:14 PM
...I only need the tailplate, and so far that mud brown color has been absent on fleabay. :-\

Are you referring to the "Maroon" color?

Yes. It's not a red maroon like most Penn plates, but a more brown color. It's that very common color used on older Monofils, but for some crazy reason, I can't seem to catch one on the big auction.

xjchad

Quote from: mo65 on February 25, 2020, 04:44:25 PM
Beautiful reel Mo!

So far no movement Chad. With the Take-Apart side it should be easy enough to keep an eye on. I'll let y'all know if it goes mobile.

Glad to hear that Mo!  If that's the case, it makes things simpler for me  ;D
Husband, Father, Fisherman

mo65

Quote from: xjchad on February 25, 2020, 04:53:25 PM
Glad to hear that Mo!  If that's the case, it makes things simpler for me  ;D

I was just noting that I never mentioned how the spring was shaped before installing it. It was bent into a "U" shape, so that it had enough tension to hold itself in place, and also push in the dog.

mhc

Tidy work with the dremel and dog Mo - you've made a great looking 100 that's ready for business. Ted's stand and the PC bars are a big improvement, both in looks and added frame strength.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

mo65

Quote from: xjchad on February 25, 2020, 04:53:25 PM
Glad to hear that Mo!  If that's the case, it makes things simpler for me  ;D

I spooled this reel with some 30lb. Stren Catfish Mono to test casting. Slapped it on a 7ft. glass rod and tied on a 2 ounce sinker...it cast so well it's ridiculous...just fantastic. These little Surfy 100s are very close in size to a catfishing favorite, the Ambassadeur 5000, but are much stronger and cast better.
   Still no movement with that dog spring Chad. The only thing I noticed odd was that scratch circled in yellow. At first it had me stymied, but I believe it is just where the frame screw drags across it while twisting on the side plate. 8)

sciaenops

Wow that's purdy! Nice work