D A M Quick 1401 and 2001 spool question

Started by farmer56, January 24, 2022, 01:27:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmer56

farmer 56 here ,   I think Fred  will know this but ....  will those two reels be able to interchange spools  ...  what  i  could  find  out they both hold the same amount   of  line  ..  1401  is  the high speed 1:5.00  and  the 2001  the lower speed  1:4.25    ....  one  thing  that  leads me  to  not  think so  is  the  weight  diff..  1401 =14.0 oz.    2001=15.3 oz.     both  reels  hold  285/6   250/8   240/10   220/12    150/15     yds  mono ,,,   thanks again  dennis

foakes

You are correct, Dennis —

They will not exchange between a 1401 & a 2001.

The spools are the same — exactly — except the brake spindles are different to accommodate the slightly larger and beefier spool axle on the 2001.  Of course, the labeling is also different — but the black aluminum spools are the same.

The slight weight difference has to do with the heavier spool axle and also a difference in gear/drive axle weight.

The easy way to overcome the non-changeability is to just switch out the spool brake spindle.

If there are any parts you need — just let me know.  Should have anything you might need from the spindle/ratchets to complete spools with all parts, drags, and drag knob. 

Can't post photos — but this should answer your questions.  And I will be glad to help in any way.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

farmer56

Fred thanks again for the info....   I have both reels  ...  just both not in house .... the 1401 anti reverse  has some part of the linkage missing or broke ....  also i'm missing drag washer and drag disc on one spool ...  would like to mail stuff to you ....  that way we could combine  postage on  the  possible  220P  thanks  again  farmer 56

foakes

Glad to handle it for you, Dennis —

Just mail the reel (1401) — and I will take care of it — and also mail back to you the completed reel and the 220P — which I just set aside for you.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

farmer56

farmer56

farmer 56 here again ...   Fred  since i have  two  1401  spools  and  one 2001 spool  ,  all spooled with different lb. test weight line  ,  i  thought  maybe i would get two  2001 spindle hub  and one  1401  hub , just hub not gear drag parts ,  then i can  mix-and-match  between the two reels .... i will ship the box this wed.  you might not like what is all coming.... three reels  1401  440 1001 and  the spool that needs the drag washer and disc...the 1401 anti- rev. work , 440 spool wont lock in , 1001 needs that rubber tube fix ,  ....  i thought i should warn you in case you wanted to return to sender  ,   as always hope this finds you and your family well .... dennis    ;D

foakes

Will do, Dennis —

Just include a list of what you would like to accomplish — and I will take it from there.

If the reel comes across the bench — it gets a full service before it leaves.

This way I don't have to come behind someone else's work or modifications — and the end product is solid and capable.

There are only (2) conditions for a quality reel —- Right or Not Right.

If I would fish it myself with confidence — then you will also — and it is in the above first condition.

Glad to help!

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.