The Wide Open

Started by the rockfish ninja, May 28, 2020, 07:26:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the rockfish ninja

Not the bite, just getting out in the wide open.

Well folks, I just clicked the big 60 a couple a weeks ago and aside from my disc and arthritis issues, I'm in halfway decent shape for an old codger. With the shelter/shutdown of most of the fishing areas and party boats not in business, I've been crying & dying for my coveted rockfish. >:(

So what did I do? .... come out of retirement on the Kamakaze Ninja surfcasting trips. 8)

It's tough trying to keep up with my fishing buddy that's half my age, yep that's me, and that's the easiest part of the trail :o, but it's (*semi) worth it because the fishing grounds are excellent.

Me
2 - Grass Rockfish
1 - Greenling (released)

My friend
1 - 19" Cabezon

I say (*semi) worth it because the day was beautiful and the RF I steamed that nite was stupendous, but that hike back up the hill did me in. Still paying for it a couple days later :'(.

.... at least I got out the house.
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

Gfish

Great! That looks like the central or North-central Calif. coast. A difficult hike eliminates ~ 90% of the competition. I'd take the Greenling then a close 2nd would be the Cabbie when it comes to good fish eats.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

El Pescador

Tony!!!

Great Photos!!!!

BUTT inquiring minds (me) want to know where on the coast did you fish...  exactly????

Glad you enjoyed your day and was fishy successful.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

xjchad

Glad to see you back at it Tony!
Thanks for the pics!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: Gfish on May 28, 2020, 07:35:57 PM
Great! That looks like the central or North-central Calif. coast. A difficult hike eliminates ~ 90% of the competition. I'd take the Greenling then a close 2nd would be the Cabbie when it comes to good fish eats.

Wrong on both counts, driving passed Monterey is too much mileage for me, and the Cabbie is the king of our coast.

Although the Greenling does make the BEST fish stock I've ever done, maybe cause it's so mild, but it was better than just about any other fish I've tried.

For me, 2nd to Cabezon is Grass Rockfish. Varied diet of crabs, shrimp & fish give it the best flavor for my taste, slightly savory yet clean tasting.

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: El Pescador on May 28, 2020, 07:40:38 PM
where on the coast did you fish...  exactly????

......... he he he, is that what you do in your spare time? ... Practice your standup routine?

If you're nice I'll take you on my next trek to the SMTO coast, but you'll have to have gear that will stand up to the rigors and turn your phone off.  ..... cause this is Ninja style.  8)

........... ;D

El Pescador

You're ON Slick...   er I mean Rockfish Ninja ;D

I'm ready to follow you down the rocky path to our beautiful coastline here in San Mateo County.

And I'll keep my mouth shut and listen and absorb all that you teach.

I've learned from MO today,

I'll learn from our own Rockfish Ninja in the near future...

And I'll post our trip in my usual style.

Give me a call.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

oc1

Really REALLY funny video.
-steve

Gfish

Ha! One of the best fishing videos I've ever seen.
IMO, central Ca. coast=San Louis Obisbo up to Carmel. North-central Calie. = Carmel to Bodega Bay, just how I think of it. A biologist might start at Big Sir with the Redwoods and call all that Nor. Cal. to the border... Also what could be more subjective than flavor preference.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: Gfish on May 30, 2020, 12:20:04 AM
what could be more subjective than flavor preference.

Absolutely.
I was thinking of doing a thread or poll for everybody's top tastiest, might be interesting.

Brewcrafter

That looked like a great trip in a beautiful spot!  In my case, the trip back might not be so bad because I would probably be minus a bunch of gear left hung up in the rocks AND no fish to carry  :D - john

thorhammer