Poppers and “cedar” plugs for John Burke in Hawaii

Started by mmayo, June 03, 2020, 10:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmayo

John asked for some big poppers 9" and 7" plus some 5"-7" exotic wood plugs. Here is what I made. The poppers have custom plastic jet heads and have a western red cedar body. The "cedar" plugs have a brass jet head and red Zebrawood, Zebrawood and purpleheart bodies.

Kites fly the highest against the wind, not with it.

Dominick

Mark, I would think that the plastic heads might skip over the surface rather then create the bubble I would be looking for.  My thought is that they might be too light.  Have you used those plastic heads?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

mmayo

Quote from: Dominick on June 04, 2020, 04:12:52 PM
Mark, I would think that the plastic heads might skip over the surface rather then create the bubble I would be looking for.  My thought is that they might be too light.  Have you used those plastic heads?  Dominick

I build what he asked. His head, his length etc. customer is right.

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

mmayo

Quote from: Ron Jones on June 04, 2020, 07:06:43 PM
Mark,
What is your typical plug diameter?

For 4"-6" plugs I use 7/8" stock cut square. For the 9" I start with 1-1/2" square blanks.

mmayo

New plugs for John Burke - 4" and 6".

7" and 9" in process.

Ron Jones

Has he commented on performance differences between plastic, brass and aluminum?
Look great as always.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

sabaman1

JIM

JoseCuervo

Quote from: Ron Jones on July 02, 2020, 09:55:18 PM
Has he commented on performance differences between plastic, brass and aluminum?
Look great as always.
The Man

This. Any customer feedback? They are gorgeous, but unless they catch fish..

:o

mmayo

He has fished them and he will sell them.

john@izbitlures.com

jurelometer

Quote from: JoseCuervo on July 02, 2020, 11:48:03 PM
Quote from: Ron Jones on July 02, 2020, 09:55:18 PM
Look great as always.
The Man

This. Any customer feedback? They are gorgeous, but unless they catch fish..

:o

x2.

The point of a traditional cedar plug is that it makes a nice neutral silhouette, tracks well at higher speeds, and will not be deflected too much by swells or wake.  This head is not a jet head. A jet head has holes in it, and the water passing through the holes causes bubbles/turbulence.

These heads appear to create more water resistance, which should make them less stable.

I am not saying that they don't work, and I am all for experimentation.  I just want to understand what is trying to be accomplished here.

BTW:  If the guy just wants to try something different to see what happens, I am all for that too.

-J

Ron Jones

I would think that the heads would create enough turbulence to cavitate. Very interesting actually.
The Man
Ronald Jones
"

IZBIT LURES

Aloha All:

I would like to thank Mark for his awesome work and making these insane plugs for me.  I want to keep my production in the states and Hawaii is tough for wood workers.  I found Mark on this site and reached out and have had great dealings with him.  Thank you sir, I hope we can drink some Bourbon on the Lanai one of these days!

You have seen my name from Mark:  I was born and raised in La Jolla CA, come for a long line of fisherman, had a relative die in a shoot out in Fort Bragg CA over salmon fishing way back.  My Dad was first West Coast Dealer for Egg Harbor Yachts, built the 43 for west coast albacore fishing.  I grew up on that rig etc.  My Dad got out of that biz, but kept commercial fishing etc.  He built a 23' Blackman Fish Machine with Don in 78. My Dad and I fished commercial Rock Cod and Albacore on that boat and of course everything else.  We really were the only ones in early 80's to be found out with the sport fleet offshore.  It helped that my Dad knew most of the owners etc. so if in need we had assistance.  As you see I am now in Hawaii on the windward side, living in the country.  I fish alot by myself as I am super picky.  Here on this side, we say it's not flat but how wet will you get.  So it is always sportie here.  I have been testing the IZBIT's and they are awesome.

Ok IZBIT's:  They were developed in the late 80's, early 90's in CA.  A bunch of the crew members(including myself) on the sport fleet in San Diego, finally said let's make a lure head that really works when nothing else does.  Well here's the IZBIT!   They make the best Smoke(air) trail out of all lures i have fished.  Plus they when skirted will "Walk the Dog" and have a wiggling action, then when flow is true over the lure head the skirts will dance like nothing else.  The cedar plug versions in the large to small size track very true but have a great smoke trail etc.  The Jumbo in the IZ Popper size trolls great even though it floats and made me laugh for 10 minutes watching it.  it also is a great popper for big tuna, Ulua etc.

I have four sizes and will post directly about them, but you can buy the plug versions and will find Mark's post about those.  I have been rigging for the last few days and just sent over 40 of these to tournaments in Baja to friends that live there and fish and wish i would keep them under wraps until we win a few tournaments there.

I have been catching here in Hawaii with them, that's why i started i was not getting bit here and put out and IZBIT and Got BIT.

Please e-mail direct if you want lure heads or skirted ones I have most popular colors in stock the cedar plug version will be on sale on the other post and will be more due to costs of making them.  I will let you know costs and will be back to link to the post for the lures etc.

Mahalo,

John
IZBIT lures
john@izbitlures.com
IZBIT LURES
John Burke
Ka'a'awa, Hawaii
john@izbitlures.com
858-922-5977

Ron Jones

23' Blackman Fish Machine, I've had to clean up my drool after looking at those since before I was a boogie boarder.
The Man
Ronald Jones
"

IZBIT LURES

Aloha:

On Saturday talked with the boys on Premium working home from San Clemente Island after fishing Bluefin in the zone.  They got a few small ones and some yellowtail.  They were 10 miles north of SCI and metering bait.  They put out an IZBIT IZWOOD, Medium size.  Got Bit!  Nice little bluefin.

John
IZBIT Lures
john@izbitlures.com
858-922-5977

IZBIT LURES
John Burke
Ka'a'awa, Hawaii
john@izbitlures.com
858-922-5977