Penn Fathom 25N bushing upgrade

Started by 7seasand7, June 09, 2020, 11:52:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

7seasand7

Hello guys,
Penn Fathom 25N star drag first gen. reel user here with the need of your help.
Been using this reel for rock fishing, got hang on the bottom structure, heavy spectra line. Trying to break off without putting pressure on the reel and using my pliers to wrap around the line and pull.... and..
My reel was not able to engage from free spool after that. Narrowed down to the bent # 19 eccentric pin, part #1188691
Now, after the replacement of eccentric pin, the eccentric lever does engage but has a wobble. Looking at the schematic, the next thing that comes to mind is #26 bushing, which made of plastic and could have been also damaged during the above situation.
QUESTION: Do you know if #26 plastic bushing can be replaced with the bearing. Would it help with the wobble eccentric lever?

Thank you all for the great contribution of your wealth of knowledge to this awesome website!
Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

alantani

here is your schematic.  http://www.scottsbt.com/catalog/store/images/pennparts/schematics/fthsd25n.pdf

i have one of these eccentric in the garage.  i was trying to pound the pin back in and it flew off into nevernever land.  if it still works well enough, then call it good.  if it does not, then consider replacing the eccentric, both bushings and maybe even the lever.  under the load that it could have been under, you might have damaged the side plate.  you'll have a better idea after replacing the easy parts first.  hopefully this will work.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

7seasand7

Thanks for the reply, I already ordered the bushing #26 and washer #26A. Hopefully, it will fix the issue and I would not need to replace the lever. We'll see.
I was hoping to get a more permanent, long term solution by switching bushing with the bearing as I can see it could happen again.

Fish-aholic

I peened the pin back in the wrong way round first time I repaired a fathom eccentric cam plate. I had to punch it out again with my bench vice.  ;D I found placing a nut that's the same width as the pin under the cam plate (same side pin protrudes) helped support things for peening pins back in situ.