Penn 309M Stands Part 30-66

Started by Tate, July 18, 2020, 03:27:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tate

Guys

Are there different varieties of the 309 stands?  I have 2 vintage 309s where the bottom of the stand angles down on one side - maybe around 10 degrees.   My newer 309s have stands that are straight across the bottom.   Are my stands that aren't straight bent?  How would you try to straighten it without breaking it.?  I've looked at pics on the internet but the angles are never right to tell. I can post pics if needed.

Thanks

Tate

RowdyW

They should be straight across the bottom just like the mount on the rod. You could try to straighten it on a piece of pipe or solid bar of the correct diameter with a soft punch so as not to leave marks.       Rudy

Maxed Out

That seat is called "freshwater seat" and is found on many 209's as well. The straight seats you refer to are called saltwater seats. Yes, they were both factory options for the 209 & 309
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

RowdyW

I guess old dogs "can" learn new tricks.

Cuttyhunker

I just got in a Mitch 304 with a tweaked off to the side a little foot. Factory too?
Doomed from childhood

reelrepair123

maxed out is right, the bent reel seat allows you to put the reel on a smaller freshwater rod, as the reel holders on the rods are smaller in diameter.    harryk

Cuttyhunker

Ted is the man, but the 304 I have isn't compressed front to back to make it shorter and sit higher, the old girl is twisted about 10 degrees sideways to the angle of the main gear.  The 304 was my first spinner and I was always envious of my pals with the 300's. They weren't catching more fish, just looking cooler doing it with that old boomerang selector switch and the sexy egg shaped body.  Anyway I just spooled up the old 304 for a light rig and we'll go out a little twisted, it may not be for everyone, but a little twisted always worked for me. 
Doomed from childhood