Graphite Reel-Powder Coating

Started by jlw1972, December 07, 2011, 04:19:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlw1972

Can you powder coat a graphite reel? What will the 400 degree cook time do to the graphite?  Thanks for any help.  Joey

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

I believe that graphite, although can sustain high temperatures, I'm not so sure of the bonding agent.  It appears that the bonding agent is a thermoset material, which means it gets hard by heating.  If it is heated too much or for long periods of time, the material gets brittle.  Therefore, I would not recommend it.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Quote from: jlw1972 on December 07, 2011, 04:19:38 AM
Can you powder coat a graphite reel? What will the 400 degree cook time do to the graphite?  Thanks for any help.  Joey

Why would you? ::)
I hate graphite on reels.....just my opinion ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

CooldadE

I have been checking out Gunkote. Its a 2 part type of paint used on guns. Durable and solvent resistent. I have a couple of old beater reels I also would like to "paint"
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Jimmer

Might try automotive touch up paint in a spray can. When I worked as a groundskeeper and had to remove grafitti this stuff was about ten times harder to remove from any surface than regular spray paint.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

jlw1972

Quote from: jlw1972 on December 07, 2011, 04:19:38 AM

The answer to this one is NO.
Just ordered a new side cover.  >:(

Thanks for the info. Wish I would have checked this thread first.