Torium 30 hard crank problem problem

Started by retiredandfishing, July 12, 2020, 04:44:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retiredandfishing

Have a a Torium 30 (the original older model, no letters to model).  Handle gets harder to crank as drag is increased. I thought this was a handle bearing and perhaps a gear problem so I have replaced the bearing under the handle key 486 and the drive gear key 759 as well as the pinion gear key 738. May have helped a bit but it's still harder to crank as more drag is applied. I notice some gear feel to it as I increase drag, can begin to feel the gears grinding a very little bit as drag is applied in addition to the hard cranking. This older model is made like the Torium 50 in that it has a bearing that sits above the anti reverse bearing.  That bearing is one I replaced.

Wondering if the anti reverse bearing could be doing that key 493 or perhaps the right or left spool bearing.  The schematic show the spool and right hand spool bearing as one unit.  Would there be a way to replace the bearing? And if so does that pin come out of the spool shaft thats sits in front of it? I made sure the stack was in correctly too. Did not change the drag washer out, they are original. 

In any case open to any idea's or thoughts.  Have to get this one back to the customer before an August Alaska trip. 

Thanks, Steve

retiredandfishing

retiredandfishing

OK got the problem solved.  If I had been more patient and read more information available on this reel on this site, I would have realized I had the Anti Reverse pawl keeper on backwards.  Rookie mistake.  LOL  In any case the customer had this reel apart before he sent it in to me.  Should have been my first clue.  Anyway again this site works wonders for me.  I'll just have to make sure I read all available information on the reel in question before I post a question.

Steve