ABU 3500C ?

Started by Keta, April 13, 2018, 09:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishhawk

is a 3500 a hi-speed 2500?

tincanary

No, they both have the 4.7:1 gears.  The 3500C has a palming side plate with no tension knob like the 2500C.  Another key difference is where the brake blocks are located.  On the 2500C, they are on the same side as the handle.  On the 3500C, they are behind the left side plate.  The 3500C was only made for the US market for a year or two.  As far as I'm aware, there are three foot numbers for USDM 3500Cs; 83-0, 83-1, and 84-0.  Elsewhere, the reel had a few variants, from an instant ant-reverse model 3500CIAR, a 3500CS Rocket, and a 3500CA.  The IAR model was made in the early 90s, while the CS Rocket and CA are from the late 90s to early 2000s.  From what I've read, it was discontinued for the USDM due to poor casting performance, but I only read that on one US site.  Other sites out of Japan tend to praise the reel's performance.  

fishhawk

ok, so the 3500 is an ultra-cast. Is it wider than a 2500?

tincanary

Quote from: fishhawk on February 20, 2019, 09:26:18 PM
ok, so the 3500 is an ultra-cast. Is it wider than a 2500?

It's not an Ultracast.  The spool does not spin free of the shaft.  As far as I know, it's very close in size to the 2500C.

mikeysm

Lee the 3500C main gear is no longer available but the 2500 gear is the replacement for it.

Mike

tincanary

Quote from: mikeysm on February 21, 2019, 06:51:29 PM
Lee the 3500C main gear is no longer available but the 2500 gear is the replacement for it.

Mike

eReplacement Parts has the 3500C main gear in stock.  Speaking of gear comparability, does the 2500C pinion work too?

mikeysm

You were looking at the replacement gear. The original you have to wait and pray to get one. You need to look again you will see.

Mike

Swami805

So what's the verdict on fishing with these? Anyone use a 3500c?  I like the size but from the above post sounds like the drag is a week point?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

mo65

Quote from: Swami805 on December 04, 2020, 02:17:41 PM
So what's the verdict on fishing with these? Anyone use a 3500c?  I like the size but from the above post sounds like the drag is a week point?

It does use the old single drag washer inside the gear...as long as you don't need much drag power it would be fine.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Swami805

Thanks Moe ,maybe try to find a cf washer that will fit
Interesting design with bearings in the brake plates and nylon bushings in the side plates
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Quote from: Swami805 on December 04, 2020, 02:17:41 PM
So what's the verdict on fishing with these? Anyone use a 3500c? 
I use the 3500's twin, the 2500C's. Use them about 4 or 5 times a week. Yeah the drag is weak compared to today's hyped plastic. I put Smoothie Extreme carbon washers in them but its not some huge improvement. I saltwater fish with them but it's light tackle fishing most would never consider doing. It's a 10 mono and under reel for sure. If you ever watch youtube, check out "Enjoy Fishing" channel and you will see where the 15\25\3500's excel.

steelfish

Quote from: Swami805 on December 07, 2020, 02:41:42 PM
Thanks Moe ,maybe try to find a cf washer that will fit
Interesting design with bearings in the brake plates and nylon bushings in the side plates

compadre, you might not "find" a CF that fits, so you better off modifying one.

on a small shimano Bantam magnunlite reel that I found really well built to just spend its rest of the days on the shelf I serviced and tryed to find CF washers that fit, I ended up usen some 113h and Baja special CF washers and cut and file them to ajust them as needed, the reel feels now like a modern reel and 3x more sturdy than lots of expensive Bass reels for SW

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=27063.0

PS: I was really surprised that I had to use the Baja Special CF washer size on that small Baitcaster reel.

The Baja Guy

PacRat

If I'm not mistaken, bushing and bearings are sized the same and are interchangeable. I bought one on ebay that had brass bushings and I replaced them with bearings out of my Abu parts bin.
I've also purchased carbon fiber drag washers for these but don't remember where from. I may have picked them up at my local tackle shop. I'll have a look around to see if I saved the originals in the CF package. I know they are out there but you need to hunt for them a little.
-Mike

tincanary

Quote from: 0119 on December 07, 2020, 09:14:12 PM

I use the 3500's twin, the 2500C's. Use them about 4 or 5 times a week. Yeah the drag is weak compared to today's hyped plastic. I put Smoothie Extreme carbon washers in them but its not some huge improvement. I saltwater fish with them but it's light tackle fishing most would never consider doing. It's a 10 mono and under reel for sure. If you ever watch youtube, check out "Enjoy Fishing" channel and you will see where the 15\25\3500's excel.

Angler Saito is a one man show.  It's like a mix of fishing and ballet the way he is, always a lot of fun to watch.