Quick help with reel foot number, green A. 7000 Pro Shop

Started by Mandelstam, August 12, 2020, 07:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandelstam

Was offered to buy this the other day and I am looking for a 7000 so I'm probably going to get it. But I got a bit confused, how should I read this reel foot number? From the guides I've seen it seems to be YY/MM/Revison ("third type" on lurelore.com) but I can't put it together. "00" is not a month (?). And from what direction should I read it? Is it 06 00 06 or 90 00 90?  ??? ???

"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Mandelstam

Quote from: mo65 on August 12, 2020, 08:10:31 PM
   I was pretty sure it was 90 00 90...and then I found this 06 00 schematic. :-\

https://www.reelschematic.com/wp-content/uploads/schematics/Abu%20Garcia/Round%20Baitcast/7000/Ambassadeur%207000%20Pro%20Shop%20%2806-00%29.pdf

Hmm.. Could be.. But I have another Pro Shop Ambassadeur (5500C) and it says Pro Shop on the side plate, like in this borrowed pic

I found another guide to reading the numbers and that said YY (Design year) XX (version) YY (manufacture year). And that "06" should read 1996. So in that case, if this is the Pro Shop version, 06 00 06 should read designed and manufactured in 1996?
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Mandelstam

Found an image of a A 7000 Pro Shop and it looks like a match.

Mandelstam

And what's the actual difference between those Pro Shop models and a "normal"? I've never really figured that out.

mo65

Wow...that's a sweet lookin' reel. I don't know anything about that one though, I don't think that one went out to my neck of the woods. Is it a European model? I checked out that schematic and it seems like a great reel. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Mandelstam

Quote from: mo65 on August 12, 2020, 08:58:32 PM
   Wow...that's a sweet lookin' reel. I don't know anything about that one though, I don't think that one went out to my neck of the woods. Is it a European model? I checked out that schematic and it seems like a great reel. 8)

I'm actually not sure what those "Pro Shop" models were or how they differ from other versions. I haven't compared the schematics in detail. They look kind of "old school" visually, maybe like a reissue of an older version? I think they were made in limited runs when they came out and the Pro Shop models I've seen (7000, 5500C, 6500C) all came out around 1996-1997. But not sure about what was special about them.

Gfish

One thing I recall is that in the many iterations of Abu stand numbering, they used a 0 for the 1960's decade. That would be the 3rd number in a "lot" number(not serial number). So, if they made this model in the late 50's through the 60's it could be a June of 1960, 6th revision---month/year(0=6, and the next digit-0=1960)/revision. But, 6 revisions in one year? I don't think so... Besides I think they had serial numbers up until somewheres around '64 or so.

Those Abu guy's seemed to just go willi-nillie on numbering systems. In '70 they changed to year/month/revision from month/year/revision???

Apparently, they began with no numbers, got to 50,000 Record reels made, then started with serial numbers. I have a 5000A that's ~ serial # 650, thousand something, so around the 700,000th reel made? Maybe early '60's? I also have a 5000A, lot # 730501 = 1973/May/1st revision.
Perhaps they never dreamed of how popular those would be.

There's gotta be some specific info. out there for yours, when did they make that model, and how did they decide to mark it?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Mandelstam

Quote from: Gfish on August 12, 2020, 09:53:28 PM
One thing I recall is that in the many iterations of Abu stand numbering, they used a 0 for the 1960's decade. That would be the 3rd number in a "lot" number(not serial number). So, if they made this model in the late 50's through the 60's it could be a June of 1960, 6th revision---month/year(0=6, and the next digit-0=1960)/revision. But, 6 revisions in one year? I don't think so... Besides I think they had serial numbers up until somewheres around '64 or so.

Those Abu guy's seemed to just go willi-nillie on numbering systems. In '70 they changed to year/month/revision from month/year/revision???

Apparently, they began with no numbers, got to 50,000 Record reels made, then started with serial numbers. I have a 5000A that's ~ serial # 650, thousand something, so around the 700,000th reel made? Maybe early '60's? I also have a 5000A, lot # 730501 = 1973/May/1st revision.
Perhaps they never dreamed of how popular those would be.

There's gotta be some specific info. out there for yours, when did they make that model, and how did they decide to mark it?

Yes their numbering system is at least not as good as their reels haha! Confusing to say the least. The three different systems used and that are described on lurelore and realsreels go "into the 80's". I haven't found a proper guide on what happened after that or how it changed.

Mandelstam

This is what I've managed to piece together with the help of mo65 pointing me towards the Pro Shop model.

Reel foot number is 06 00 06

06 00 is the "model/revision number" for the Ambassadeur 7000 Pro Shop. Number is printed on the schematic for the reel.

The numbering system used appears to be YY XX YY (year designed - revision - year manufactured)

"06" stands for 1996 and also represents the year it was designed. If the 90's starts with "00", what happened in the first decade of the 2000's?
"00" stands for revision

So the reel was designed in 1996 and it's the first revision.

Last number (06) stands for the year it was manufactured (1996).

If anyone can either confirm or deny the above please do!

I asked around in an Ambassadeur FB group and someone posted this picture about the Pro Shop models:

To me it all sounds like the Pro Shop models were more a marketing thing than any new reel design. They were identical to a previous model, just in a new but "old school" look.

I pulled out my 5500C Pro Shop and checked the number. 06 00 07. So using the same method that should mean designed in 1996, first revision and manufactured in 1997.

mhc

I'm thinking designed 1996 (06), no revisions (00), manufactured 1996 (06) as well after reading Mooki's posts on the second page of https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=2588.15
It looks like the year 2000 would be 10, and 2001 - 11 and so on - which would mean 90 00 90 would be 2080?

Nice looking reel by the way, the only other green 7000s I've noticed are the 7000B models - they have 7000B printed on the edge decal. 

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.