Losing Reel Parts

Started by Tate, August 04, 2020, 03:58:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tate

Guys,

Is it just me or do reel parts have a way of magically disappearing?  I need better organization I think.  I'm working on several reels at a time.  I was working earlier tonight on refurbishing a jig master, but lost the dog.  Looked everywhere.    Anyone know if you can substitute anything for 55-100 dog?  I just added the jigmasters to my list of reels I service so I don't have extra parts YET. 

Is there a way to NOT lose parts?  :)

Thanks,

Tate

alantani

i really try to now open up more than one reel at a time.  i've had parts just fly away.  yeah, just friggin' fly away.  i've had them land in my hair, in my shoes, once a handle nut landed in my pocket.  one of my super powers is the ability to fall asleep immediately, anywhere, anytime, and stay asleep for as long as needed.  i would gladly trade that for the ability to find anything, anywhere, all the time, everytime....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Cor

Not a reel.....
I was helping a friend to dismantle something, and said to him "we have to be carefull, there is a spring thingy in here that will jump away"  It happened! ;D   We were in a large space with with clean uncluttered floors and spent 2 hours and some of the next day but could not find the spring.

A few month later the cleaner found it in a ceiling light.
Cornelis

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Tate on August 04, 2020, 03:58:04 AM
Guys,

Is it just me or do reel parts have a way of magically disappearing?  I need better organization I think.  I'm working on several reels at a time.  I was working earlier tonight on refurbishing a jig master, but lost the dog.  Looked everywhere.    Anyone know if you can substitute anything for 55-100 dog?  I just added the jigmasters to my list of reels I service so I don't have extra parts YET. 

Is there a way to NOT lose parts?  :)

Thanks,
Tate
Yes  Work in a big Clear plastic bag, or lay down a old 10 gallon fish tank on it`s side and work in that.

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Donnyboat

Yes times two Joe, when I get near a spring in a reel, I place grease on it, if it does take off, it generally stops as it hit something, & not ricochet in another direction. cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Lunker Larry

I have a number of small boxes that I put reels in that are waiting on parts. I put the disassembled parts in a dixie cup and dinky parts like shimano clickers and such in a parts baggie. Keep it all in the box. Write the clients name and what it is waiting for on a piece of masking tape affixed to the box and all is good.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Alto Mare

I will always have spare parts, but MO at Mystic usually sends what I need the next day.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Brewcrafter

Tate - I'm with The Boss - I never do more than one reel at a time, but then I am not skilled enough (or have the demand) to have to work on more than one at a time.  Anyhow, as more experienced hands have pointed out above:
Spring loaded parts can go ballistic at any time.  There is no rhyme or reason.  It's Karma.
The second thing I have done - parts on disassembly with grease/old grease, can be sticky.  I have set a small part aside (or thought I did) only to realize it was still stuck to my fingers or tweezers, and didn't end up where I thought it would, or ended up on the floor/missing.
For myself, I usually do all of my work on a clean white towel.  Not perfect, but works for me.  And in those situations where I am "popping loose" a spring loaded component, I can usually take a corner of the towel/work surface and flop over what I am doing to act as sort of a "ballistic blanket". 
- john

oc1

My present workshop is a tent and the floor is mixture 1" gravel and reel parts.
-s

oldmanjoe

Quote from: oc1 on August 05, 2020, 07:40:51 AM
My present workshop is a tent and the floor is mixture 1" gravel and reel parts.
-s
You cracked me up . I can so see the glittering stone in the sun light .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Donnyboat

Gee Steve, sounds like you spent to much money on reels, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Dominick

I have had success running a magnet around on the floor.  I one time found a spring glued to my arm with grease.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Tate

Appreciate the feedback!  I've changed my system.   Yes, I have 12 reels in process, but I did a full inventory of parts to determine what I am missing if anything.  Mystic is happy right now.   I mostly needed HT-100 drags, few various springs, screws, etc.  My wife goes through jugs of spring water for her coffee - coffee purist- she brings me a tumbler each morning so I can't complain.  I haven been cutting the top 5 inches off or so and using the bottom as a part receptacle.  The plastic is thick so it sturdy and works well - not near as flimsy as the milk jug type containers.  I then put the parts in my cleaning solution with a closed lid - not the brass - it gets WD-40 followed by a little scrubbing and a Corrosion-X treatment.  I have been taking each reel out of the various cleaning solution receptacles I have back into the recycled water receptacles.  It then gets a wash in fresh water, dried and then put into a labeled zip loc bag with a note of what it is and what part is needs if any.  So far this is working well.. and yes I use various ballistic barriers to hold those springs.  I put the springs and the the gear sleeve posts in recycled, labeled contact lens cases.  The lids on these little cases screw on so the spring and the post doesn't get lost.  It goes in the zip lock with the reel.  I've already been using a white towel to work on which helps.  I  have a lip on my workbench now that (should?) keep parts from rolling off or getting brushed off.  We shall see.

Tate