Carp fishing Setup. Please recomend.

Started by Riy2018, August 10, 2020, 01:34:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobi King

Cat fish/carp, I see a lot of folks I fish with use Berkley glass rods (MH) from walmart at $20

They have some catfish combo outfits. you can actually toss  you bait by hand or use a launcher, like a lacrosse stick (modified or similar)
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Riy2018

Thank you!.  :)
I feel that river fishing is lazy fishing compare to open ocean beach.

happyhooker

Benni 3, are you confident that is a common carp in your picture?  The mouth looks a little goofy, more like a bigmouth buffalo, although the fish does not look like a buff either.

Frank

happyhooker

Went last week; used a Shakespeare 2071 (Courtesy of Recoil Rob--thanks again) with 12 lb. test Trilene on a Bass Pro Shops spinning rod, 5 ft. 8 in. graphite med. action handling 10-20 lb. test.  Terminal tackle includes a sliding sinker, small spit shot to keep the sliding sinker away from the hook, #4 heavy hook with earthwork gob bait.  Fished at an inlet with current, so no sinker not an option.  Cast out, reel in until you feel the sinker, then relax the line just a tad and hook it over your finger to feel bites.  When feel a bite, drop the line off your finger immediately; when bite progresses to firmer tugs, set the hook and hold on.

Tried again this afternoon, using a Daiwa Silvercast (old style) RL 212 spincast, also with 12 lb. test and same terminal tackle/technique.  Rod was an Abu Garcia Premier Conolon 7 ft., med.-heavy action handling 10-25 lb. test line.

The sliding sinker will not tip off the fish as to the weight.  The 12 lb. test would be light for a monster carp, but will handle them up to 20 lbs. at least, which covers 98 % of what you'll run into, and the 12 lb. test is less visible than anything heavier.

Have also used corn kernels as bait (not legal everywhere).  Doughballs sometimes too; put an inkpen spring on the shaft of a #4 hook to help hold the bait on; doughball is just a little flour, water, crumble a little bran or wheat flakes cereal in and one small drop of anise flavoring.

Carp are looked down on by many, but they will fight harder than almost any other freshwater fish, and be bigger than most things you'll catch in fresh.

Frank

philaroman

Quote from: happyhooker on August 11, 2020, 12:03:05 AM
Benni 3, are you confident that is a common carp in your picture?  The mouth looks a little goofy, more like a bigmouth buffalo, although the fish does not look like a buff either.

Frank

Grass Carp aka White Amur

Benni3

Quote from: philaroman on August 11, 2020, 12:54:45 AM
Quote from: happyhooker on August 11, 2020, 12:03:05 AM

Frank

Grass Carp aka White Amur
Yes sir that was a grass carp,,,,,,, ;) I think this 1 is a buffalo,,,,,,, ;D

nelz

That Penn Torque spinner will handle big Amberjack, sharks, etc, lol. ::)

Benni3

Quote from: nelz on August 11, 2020, 03:47:33 AM
That Penn Torque spinner will handle big Amberjack, sharks, etc, lol. ::)
I was in pella Iowa on the other side of a dam,,,,, ;) and this nice man said I don't think you gear is strong enough for a big fish here,,,,,what hehe,, :D :o ;D

Riy2018

Thank you for advise.
All my rods are for
Quote from: philaroman on August 10, 2020, 01:57:33 PM
longer, more moderate Salmon/Steelhead is great
older glass Fen/Lami/Harnell/etc. is FANTASTIC!!!
plain wire guides are OK w/ mono & who cares about few ounces extra blank weight, unless Stalking?
whether you choose ML, M or MH, depends:

• how big are the fish?  go by COMMON SIZE -- an ML(esp., glass) can handle a rare trophy
  • can you let them run?  some spots are excellent, but the fish must be "convinced with AUTHORITY" not to go in a certain direction
  • what are your alternate purposes for the rod?

it's not so much the sensitivity of the tip for bite detection, as having a long, limber, forgiving entire top half
to avoid ripping comparatively small hooks through boneless rubbery lips w/ serious mass behind them
(bite detection is usually accomplished with bite alarms, Baitrunners, conventional clickers, loosened drags, open bails, etc.)
if you're going w/ a 9-footer, Fast Action would make me cringe & I'd avoid X-Fast like the plague
Mod/Fast would be a better casting tool & more versatile for other uses
Moderate would be a better tool for fighting bigger fish & better protect lighter line (forget that 40-80#)
if all you have to go by is line rating, look for a wide range -- e.g., 8-20# rather than 12-20#; 10-30#, rather than 15-30#; etc.
as a matter of fact, the 10' Med 4-20# Ugly is a good budget all-arounder (esp., old US-made)
just wear out the crappy components for a few years & have it rebuilt w/ Fuji & an extra foot or two up the butt ;D

if you have room to swing it, 11'-13' gives you more leeway w/ rod Action & better line control (and a fine L/UL Surf Rod!!!)
9'-10' Carp rods are generally concessions to clearance (overgrown banks w/ low overhead branches);
weight (Stalking Rods for wading/sight-fishing rod-in-hand, for hours); or storage/transport issues (consider 3-pc)

All my rods are for surf or boat. MH, H or XH. they are stiff, and can pull shark, large fish. I called St>Croix - discontinued carp rods. Ugly/Penn - are on back order due to China or Covid.  Do you know any other US made rods?

oc1

Quote from: Riy2018 on August 11, 2020, 07:21:43 PM
Do you know any other US made rods?

You and I are looking for the same sort of rod.  When St. Croix moved production and started getting stingy with their banks I moved my allegiance to Lamiglass.  Lamiglass has salmon/steelhead blanks up to 13 feet.  Made in USA but be prepared to pay the price.  They often have some sort of discount running.
https://www.lamiglas.com/collections/fishing-rod-blanks

The Chinese factory that makes graphite blanks for Rainshadow, Alps, Batson and others has fly rod blanks up to 10 feet.  They are very inexpensive if you buy them unbranded on ebay. 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=graphite+rod+blank+10ft&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=graphite+rod+blank+10%27

For your application, there is no difference in fly rod blanks and salmon/steelhead rod blanks.  Take the fly rod weight rating (e.g. 2 wt, 4 wt, etc) and divide by 16 to get the suggested lure weight in ounces like you would see on a salmon/steelhead rod.

-steve

Benni3

[/quote] All my rods are for surf or boat. MH, H or XH. they are stiff, and can pull shark, large fish. I called St>Croix - discontinued carp rods. Ugly/Penn - are on back order due to China or Covid.  Do you know any other US made rods?
[/quote]
Surf gear is great for carps that's the set up I gave marlo,,,,, ;) it doesn't matter how heavy the line is just put a 20lb litter on,,,, ;) I use a tfo 9ft steelhead rod now it's called a searunner ,,,, :) but it's not strong enough for anything over 20lbs and that's a problem you never know what you're going to hook like a 40lb carp or a 50lb flathead I'm sure where ever your at there's a big one in there I want to see you catch it,,,,,,, ;D

Riy2018

Quote from: oc1 on August 11, 2020, 08:25:28 PM
Quote from: Riy2018 on August 11, 2020, 07:21:43 PM
Do you know any other US made rods?

You and I are looking for the same sort of rod.  When St. Croix moved production and started getting stingy with their banks I moved my allegiance to Lamiglass.  Lamiglass has salmon/steelhead blanks up to 13 feet.  Made in USA but be prepared to pay the price.  They often have some sort of discount running.
https://www.lamiglas.com/collections/fishing-rod-blanks

The Chinese factory that makes graphite blanks for Rainshadow, Alps, Batson and others has fly rod blanks up to 10 feet.  They are very inexpensive if you buy them unbranded on ebay. 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=graphite+rod+blank+10ft&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=graphite+rod+blank+10%27

For your application, there is no difference in fly rod blanks and salmon/steelhead rod blanks.  Take the fly rod weight rating (e.g. 2 wt, 4 wt, etc) and divide by 16 to get the suggested lure weight in ounces like you would see on a salmon/steelhead rod.

-steve

Can I pair Fly rod and spinning reel?
I dont know how to use fly reels.

oc1

Quote from: Riy2018 on August 12, 2020, 12:18:52 AM
Can I pair Fly rod and spinning reel?
I dont know how to use fly reels.
Me neither but most of my UL baitcasting rods started out as fly rod blanks.
-s

Benni3

Yes,,,,, ;) Larry uses a fly rod with a Mitchell 308,,,,, ;D

philaroman

HA -- everybody steers toward what they like:
I'm pushin' you toward the longer lighter stuff; Steve wants you to build your own;
and Benni wants you to grab whatever is handy & just have fun

you seem to want something shorter & beefier than what I like, so I went with that,
yet something I would still consider a great rod/value -- this custom Fenwick SH 1024 F really caught my eye:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Fenwick-Custom-Fenglass-Spinning-Rod-Blank-SH-1024-F-Very-Nice/193618541980?hash=item2d14907d9c:g:qr8AAOSwLgxfMFZx

I believe SH=steelhead action; 102=8'6"; 4=Power (M/MH Steve?); F=fiberglass or fast (Steve?)
looks nicely overbuilt with S/W components -- a rod you could put down on the muddy bank & wouldn't want to put down on the boat ;D

hey, if you actually called Croix about Avid Carp Rods, you can afford TWO of these  ;)
& you'll know EXACTLY what you like for the next one