New 50H pinion gear won’t engage spool on 350H

Started by Fishead, August 16, 2020, 03:15:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishead

I put a new set of brass 50H gears in my 350H. They work well except the notch in the pinion gear doesn't seat on the spool notch very well. Has anyone else had to modify the pinion to fit properly? I'm guessing that brass ring around the outside of the pinion gear will come off so I can enlarge the gear notch or the ring if need be.
If you're not fishing,you're wishing you were!!

nelz

Personally, I think I'd prefer to file down the tab on the spool where the pinion engages it instead. Seems risky to mess with the structural integrity of the pinion.

Porthos

Would leave the hob ring alone as nelz said. Should follow the K.I.S.S. principle here; the tab on the spool is far easier to access. However, before you start modifying anything (since you can't undo it), get another 50H pinion for a sanity check fitting.

Brewcrafter

Will second everything above.  But look closely to see if your pinion gear and spool have "bevels" (basically rounded corners that help with engagement).  From a machining standpoint it is an extra step; if your pinion has a pure "straight cut" that could be where your issue is. - john