An absurd lament

Started by JasonGotaProblem, May 19, 2021, 05:41:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philaroman

big bass in heavy weeds = baitcasters + broomsticks, from smaller boats
I'm sure the Suzuki is more sensitive/responsive than older 7'6" H 12-25# Casting rod
since Jason is un-Conventional & boat-less, 10' is good length for wet-wading/stalking

oldmanjoe

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on May 20, 2021, 05:38:30 PM
This was sort of intended to be a silly thread. I could certainly bring a 2nd rod. Philaromans idea of bait fish + lure is pretty brilliant though.

And i have not used the Suzuki for bass yet. Might be too much power.

Like I say this isn't a legit problem more of a "one that got away" kind of lament. I've put so much focus on long casting lately that I forgot there's fish close to shore too.
I think that`s your way of bragging about that new fangle catapult that you over shoot your target by 60 yards . ::)   jk
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

boon

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on May 20, 2021, 05:38:30 PM
Like I say this isn't a legit problem more of a "one that got away" kind of lament.

Good sir, there is no finer "one that got away" lament than purchasing some new fishing gear, in the 100% assurance that it will prevent the next one from getting away.

Rinse, repeat, until many many ones have got away, and your house puts most tackle stores to shame.

Other fine examples include "Lost a lure today.... better buy 6 more, just in case".

Makule

Many years ago, while fishing from shore (the only kind of fishing I do) with a kite, I had my baits out about 300 yards.  Fished for a day and a night and the morning I'm planning to leave, some free divers come spearing right in front of me.  I didn't care because they were less than 100 yard out and my baits were far removed from them.  One of them starts screaming and I see an ono jumping away from him while he's chasing it.  He and the three other guys catch up to it and grab it.  Shortly after, another guy spears the second one.  Then there is a third one.  From the look of it, they were all in the 40-50 pound range when they pulled the fish to shore.  So, yes, sometime the fish are close to shore.

On another trip, I was again fishing with the kite and since there were several whale within 100-200 yards from shore passing back and forth in front of us, sent my lines waaaay out to get away from them.  Dang what scaring all the fish away and no one getting bites.  As I'm looking at them, I see this 200+ ahi roll out of the water right in front of me, less than 20 yards from shore.  It only made one pass and was gone.  I blame the whales for not catching anything on that trip.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Jim Fujitani

Uhhhh........

Don't come to the Pacific Coast and fish for King Salmon in the lower rivers.  Some Kings may be in fresh water for some time, and they get dark colored and often develop furunculosis and fungal infections that make them look ugly.  They have one thing in mind, to spawn.  It is not unusual to have 20-30 pound (or even larger) King salmon swim past or even between your legs while you are wading.  It can be frustrating to some, especially on a fishless day.  But those dark kings are really not fit to keep for the pan.  Better not to bother them and let them conserve their energy to try to get upriver to spawn.

Another example of the adage, "If you can see them; they can see you.  And you'll never catch them".