South Bend 880

Started by Bryan Young, August 23, 2020, 04:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

This reel is painted like a Dam Quick from Germany and sounds like a 70's Garcia spinning reel from France. This one was made in Hong Kong. I didn't know that fishing reels were made in Hong Kong.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

scrinch

Wow. Handle, paint, drag knob all make this look like a Hong Kong knock-off of a DAM Quick!

festus

Nice one.  I have an 870 which is the next size down.  If I'm not mistaken, South Bend was a distributor of German DAM Quicks for a while.

happyhooker

Quote from: festus on August 23, 2020, 11:52:46 PM
Nice one.  I have an 870 which is the next size down.  If I'm not mistaken, South Bend was a distributor of German DAM Quicks for a while.

Pretty sure you're right about the SB-DAM Q connection.  Have seen schematics of various DAM Q reels on SB paper.

Frank

swede 53

The four 800 series models with the black finish were made in Hong Kong,they also made the 300 series there along with most of the 700a series.The 700 series were made in Japan,they also had 740,835 and 850 models that were built in Japan with a ball bearing on the pinion gear and were painted maroon,these were somewhat better built.The 900 reels seems to be Gladdings attempt to keep a high end reel on the market after they lost the rights to market the Quicks.

dlrider

Looking at the 880, it looks similar to the Mitchell 306, with the main gear, pinion, bushing and oscillator mechanism. And I wonder if it has the same can opener sound and feel.

At least some of the 900 series were built with the helical worm gear drive system (or whatever it is called) like the Quicks.   I wonder what the retrieve rate of a 930 or 935 is compared to, say, a D.A.M. 331N or 441N  That is, inches-per-turn.

happyhooker

Thanks for the contribution dl, and by the way, welcome to the site.

Frank

swede 53

All four of the 900 series reels were worm gear drive.The gear ratio on the 930 and 935 reels is 3.7:1.The 880 spool is about the same size as a Mitchell 302n I have but they are not in the same league.The 760,880,and 360 take the same main gear and while the material they used in these gears seems to holdup in the smaller 700 and 800 reels, I have run across a few of the big reels with stripped gears.