Abu 5601C4 malfunction

Started by The Toy Box, July 28, 2011, 02:13:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Toy Box

Question on this reel:

Lightly used, only had a little more than a year.

When I press the thumb bar, the line is not always releasing.  I'd say it works 50% of the time.  So when you press the thumb bar (and I can still hear the "click"), the line acts like I had never pressed the thumb bar.

Ideas on how to fix?  Can I do this myself?   Thanks in advance.....

Ken_D

Hi. Hard to tell long distance. But several failures have been reported, where the cause was the pinion yoke.
I'd inspect this part, and look for deformations/shavings at the bottom of the little clip that holds the pinion in place, on the yoke.

A reminder that upon re-installation of the transmission side to the frame, to engage casting mode by way of a drill bit or small screwdriver inserted in the little crescent on the brake plate.  Depending on age of your unit,
the reel won't work at all unless the thumb bar pin is allowed to pass on the correct side of the bits inside...   
made possible by placing reel in cast mode before assembly.  (Abu's fixed this on later models.)

alantani

that pin on the thumb bar.  make sure it is sticking out far enough to catch the release lever.  i vaguely recall some of them being pressed in too far. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

The Toy Box

Alan--

If its not out far enough, can I pull it out further with pliers?

alantani

i am hoping that will be the fix, and that i will be quick and easy.  can you check and let us know?  thanks!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mmaxwel

This worked for me, thanks for the tip.