Cleaning HT100 drag washers

Started by tbucketford429460, January 05, 2012, 08:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbucketford429460

I just bought a penn 14/0 and its has HT100 drag washers that have a glaze on them in some spots can this be cleaned off or should I buy new ones.

thanks
wade

franky

Hello Wade,

If its a second hand reel, I would highly recommend just changing out the drags.  They should not cost too much and for the amount of time and effort it takes to open up the reel and do a thorough cleaning and relubing, you may as well just put in new HT-100's.  Besides, we don't know the history of the person who formerly owned the reel and how they fished it or maintained it.  Best to be safe especially with a big game reel going after monster fish.  When you are hooked up, that is not the time for drag issues or nasty surprises.  :o

dobrobill

I bump and add that you can usually find them on ebay and Mystic Reel Parts mysticparts.com and I'm sure many other places.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

alantani

wade, the drag washers are incredibly expensive.  try cleaning them with an old rag first, then slap a thick coat of cal's grease on the old drag washers and put your reel back together.  i'm betting things will break in just fine, plus you'll save $30.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!