Penn Slammer 760L rebuild by Dale Matlock.

Started by dalematlock, December 21, 2011, 02:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johndtuttle

Quote from: Bonecracker on January 25, 2013, 09:51:25 PM
Afternoon everyone! Found this website and feel like I have did and gone to fishing heaven! ;D

One quick question regarding the Penn Slammer LL which I love! I have a 560L that I have caught quite a few tarpon on and noticed while using the spinning reel in November chasing big reds that the Live Line mech was not working properly. I could engage the LL mech manually and it worked properly! But I could not get the LL mech to engage/work turning the spinning reels handle! :'(

Any thoughts?? ???

There's a spring inside that hold parts that act as a trip and from a knock or other it sounds like it has fallen out of position. You'll have to open it up to get it back into position...Just one thought.

best

nelz

Thanks for the much needed tutorial. I love these reels! Amazingly, I've managed to successfully ::) service mine a couple of times with only the Penn schematic.

Btw, I totally prefer the manual trip over auto; it prevents accidental tripping and you get used to it quickly. Also, it lets you reel in slack without engaging, which is a big plus when actually LIVE-LINING, duhh!

dalematlock

Porthos

Just rebuilt my recent acquired NOS 760L today as the replacement for my Okuma Coronado CD90. Spooling it up with 50lb braid and will field test it on local trips before its debut on the 2016 SOA trip.

INTENTIONALLY omitted part 28-760, the trip lever, in the reassembly--the reel bail will be manual close only.

This rebuild was a lot easier than the rebuilds for the Fin Nor FST60, Okuma CD-65, and CD-90. Kudos to Penn on sticking with the KISS principle.

ecallen

Does anyone have the pics for this or can they be reloaded?

dalematlock

Hello everyone! I've received a few PM's and I finally got my pictures back from Photobucket....what a friggin' joke trying to get your pictures back! Anyways, I am not gonna do a pic by pic explanation of my post again. But I will repost the pictures for you! Enjoy and hope this helps.

dalematlock

dalematlock

dalematlock

dalematlock

dalematlock

dalematlock

dalematlock

dalematlock

dalematlock