A new tool and its testing.

Started by gstours, November 02, 2020, 03:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Heres a tool I made for a friend that takes me fishing once in a while.  His poon had a warped wood handle butt it was better than nothing.
    A handle was purchased on line ,  its a paint roller adjustable one he liked,  so the stainless rod was scavenged from the old one and installed on the new experimental one.  Several 1/8 inch sst pins were installed to keep it in place following the drilling of the 3/8 inch hole for the rod.
  Now for the test.  I,m old school and thought the sliding adjustable parts may fail butt its better than what he had,  He,s happy and thats the main thing.   Lets try to wear it out! ;)

alantani

interesting.  i wonder if the same thing would work for bluefin tuna....... 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Gobi King

Those paint roller handles are light and strong, good use,
I have been pondering if I can use it as a push stick for shallow water.

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

jurelometer

I was using one for underwater filming from the boat.  The coupler/locking mechanism was plastic that was not UV protected.   I had to tighten  more and more over time until it broke.  I looked around for a more durable one, but could not find any.   

It makes sense for a detachable tip halibut harpoon that is not under much force, but if you want to use it for anything more demanding, you might need to replace the plastic coupler with something stronger, at which point all you are buying is the AL tubing.  I definitely wouldn't want to use one to push a small boat out of trouble in the shallows.

Don't think that harpoons are allowed in CA except for Pacific halibut and maybe some shark and ray species.

-J

gstours

In the post here it was to show how an adjustable paint roller handle was used.  if you read between the lines ??? a mention was made that id it was mine i,d do things different.   The favor had some limitations ,    he loved the snap open action of a peezy cheezy paint roller as it might made him think of a movie of a luger or glock.   It breaks down about 60% in length so that has merit. 
   For my two cents the cheezy plastic locking parts and several hidden iron springs inside are not designed for trophy fish nor a harsh saltwater environment....   opps that 3 cents worth,   now you should be happy ....... :D