stories and pictures of alto mare

Started by alantani, October 11, 2020, 05:08:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

broadway

Thinking of our pal, too, John.
Merry Christmas to you and your family, Sal.
God blessed us for having him in our lives.
Miss ya buddy

Cor

I never knew Sal other then by what he wrote on this site and now by what you who did know him wrote here about his kindness, generosity and knowledge of things fishing and human.

I just spent ½ an hour reading through this and other threads and it impressed me that one man had so many friends that knew him so well and praised him for all he has done here and in life.

Maybe I just got a tiny insight in to his life and what he meant for those that knew him personally.

RIP
Cornelis

thorhammer

I'll share one- same visit I met Dom, Dan and Sid, to tour the Penn plant. I was going up for business from NC to NY. When the tour got organized, I asked Sal the address. To this point we had communicated via AT, and I may have bought a couple parts from him, but really he didn't know me from Adam, either the Biblical one OR Motive Fabrication :) . I was going to uber from airport to Penn- Sal says no way, he's picking me up at airport. Soon as I get in the car, he hands me a goody bag- his custom-turned sleeve pin punch, a PC DD jiggy bridge, and some other things.

The Penn tour is chronicled otherwise, thanks again Tony! Afterwards, Dom, who didn't know me either previously, gave me a two hour lift back to Manhattan. Sounds like a long ride for strangers- but NOT for two reel-heads. I think we could've gone another two on Penn history- dude is a gentleman and scholar, as Sal.

Sal gave me plenty of advice over the years, as well as surprise parts, gratis,and otherwise not-to-be had: his custom knobs, 116 delrin undergear, DD 970 plate, among others. He is missed.

Cathy, my best wishes to you and the family on this Christmas Day.

broadway

John is one of the easiest guys to be around and talk to.  You feel like you've known him for years in just minutes, and that is what Sal and I recognized even online.  I'm sure we're not alone in that opinion. Sal enjoyed John, as we spoke later about that special trip.  I had mentioned it to Randy, but if Sal's family is okay with us incorporating a special "Sal Memorial" trip to the factory that would be very cool, as that was definitely one of Sal's "Happy places."  When Tony told us they were looking to hire a few guys the day we  took the tour, you should've seen Sal's wheels spinning.
Glad we had that time, John.
All the best,
Dom

Shark Hunter

Been Looking for this one. Tank Testing in Sal's man Cave!
Life is Good!

thorhammer

Maxed Out

Lol, Sal found some ingenious ways to test reels. Great picture Daron. I also remember him using a little wagon full of bricks and pulling up his driveway

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Gfish

Great one Daron! A man in his man-cave doing some man stuff. Glad that'n's on the home page.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oldmanjoe

That is a nice photo , looks like he has 25 pound bucket bend on that rod !!
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

broadway

Thanks for bringing that one back from the archives, D.
Ted, I remember the wagon with brick as well.  He always pushed his gear for the purpose of testing.
It wasn't cheap for him to do, but he preferred taking the hit before someone lost a fish of a lifetime or got hurt somehow.
A good man indeed,
Dom

AU7172

I never met Sal but from all the wonderful posts, I would say, a life well lived. My condolences to the family. Life is so short. What a beautiful bird dog. Anyone who loves bird dogs is a friend of mine.
Russ Haynes
Fairhope, Al

gstours

I must add, I did add, my firsts posts were thru his forwards here on this forum.   He gladly did my dirty work and talked this old Alaskan boy the how too,s here.
  Sal led me the way to test and question stuff.   For this I will questioned by a few,  and be forever grateful..... 
Sal was a friend I never met,  so why do I have tears every time I type to you?  He has helped me to hold on to the rudder and be a better person.....

williewiskers

I didnt immediately put together this person "Sal" was "Alto Mare". But I looked back through my messages and he was the one whom offered to, and did, make and send me delrin washers for under the main gear in my 16/0 because they were what I needed in his expertise. I was (and am) new on these forums and he didnt know me from Adam, but he he went way out of his way to help a stranger he would never know. He even refused to let me pay him for the part or the postage.

The Wiskers

broadway

Wiskers,  You clearly received parts from Sal... that's just how he rolled.
Best,
Dom