[SOLVED] STL 4000FD rotor problem

Started by pachuc, October 25, 2020, 03:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pachuc

Hi,

i couldn't find any topic about this..

It's about STL 4000FD.. bought it used as a training object.. was a bit broken.. replaced main gear, pinion, idle gear, bearings around pinion/main gear... (parts mostly not available.. but got them anyway! :) )

Every part got grease/oil.. Everything is fine .. as soon as i get to put rotor on and screw it on... then reel gets really crappy... it's hard to turn the handle...  rotor without the screw spins just fine.. but when i tighten the screw so there is something wrong.. did check schematics.. and there is no part missing at this area..

Did remove bail assembly (it's still broken.. need some more parts.) and friction ring (heard it may give some problems if it's broken.. but it's not) ... and it's still the same :(

Any ideas, help please :)

philaroman

I play w/ older lower models...  had what you're describing -- I think -- trying to remember how/why
maybe that's the one time I had to shim a Stradic main "from behind", AWAY from the pinion ???
in general:

• when friction ring fails, reel usually binds (not, rough)
    if you don't cast aggressively -- get rid of it altogether, IMHO
    otherwise, leave it off 'til everything else works -- it's not essential
  • older Shimano schematics don't always show all the shims
    very rarely, there's a shim where schematic shows none
    more often, where schematic shows one shim, there are 2 or more
    and that's FROM THE FACTORY -- who knows what else was done to a well-used parts reel
  • prob. silly, but check if A/R collar is flipped...  or, that may need a shim ???

pachuc

Thx philaroman,

yes it's obvious that there is maybe something missing (spacer etc.).. or tighted to much...

And it's true.. f.eks. JDM schematics  (japanese) shows some differences than this normal i use...

Need to study them good...

philaroman

sometimes JDM is just different color/handle; sometimes mechanical differences (esp., baitcaster)
this is better for later JDM schematics:
http://www.shimanopromotions.com.au/schematics/
this is easier to navigate & better for older US models:
https://www.reelschematic.com/reel-schematics/shimano-reel-schematics/#gsc.tab=0

boon

Stellas are individually shimmed. The number shown on the schematic doesn't necessarily reflect your reel, and the configuration may have to be changed now that you've put new gears in.

pachuc

Thank You boon,

and how do i find out about this..? some numbers etc. .. but where...?

it's quiet interesting... because when i put the rotor nut on.. so there is really very little place for it.. and i think that it presses rotor to much.. and that's why it's working so bad.. (hard)

So as philaroman says.. i should try to giv some shim before pinion... so it sticks out a bit more.. ?

right?

boon

Hmm, some pictures would probably help?

philaroman

like I said, I play w/ older, cheaper models -- I can only imagine more precision in a Stella
rotor should seat securely & nut should screw down easily by hand;
then another 1/4 - 1/3 turn with a tool (NO FORCE!!!); and this makes
the top of the pinion flush with the top of the rotor nut
IF SOMETHING ELSE IS HAPPENING, STOP!!!
DON'T EVEN TURN THE HANDLE -- start over & look for missing/damaged/misaligned parts

pachuc

SOLVED!

it's UNBELIEVABLE !!

One shim between part 63/64 was missing! the one that sits on pinion... it has no part number .. it's just visible on the schematics..

https://www.plat.co.jp/parts/SHIMANO-Spinning/STELLA-SW/07STELLA4000-02087.pdf

Thank you everyone for your input :)