I am so in on this slow pitch thing

Started by the rockfish ninja, November 01, 2020, 12:22:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

Quote from: the rockfish ninja on November 10, 2021, 05:16:50 PM

I always love a good home spun project, looks like it can be a nice light jigging rod, do a report when you get your first fish on it.

..... as for the "slowprofile" reel, you'll find out very quickly that they aren't the best for this technique. I can be done, but a round reel with better torque power and a large inch per crank rating is the premier setup for slow jigging.

Good luck on the next one and look up Rainshadow slow pitch blanks, they've recently been selling out of Charkbait at a decent price.

Just wanted to give that FW rod a new life, if not used much as UL jiiggin rod it will be used for casting light lures from the shore just like fishing for Bass but this time will be for Spotted Bay Bass and sea trout/Curvinas

I think I already commented this, but UC has a blank that was sold for Micro Jigging and some guys are using it for SPJ, its the UC DHX 60H 5.5 tip and 0.35 butt and $90 dlls blank, RS revelation SPJ look good but more expensive, another optios is to build the UC Zeus 1 as SPJ

1 pic    UC DHX 60H as SPJ
2 pic    comparing blank wall thickness of RS revelation blanks  Vs UC 60H
3 pic    UC Zeus 1

with my chances on going fishing on the next months Im not seeing myself into SPJ anytime soon, but its good to be well documented on it if I have the chance to pick a blank in a deep black friday discount

about Lowprofile reels, mostly the reason is my smallest casting reel is a Saltist 20h, it feels big on that FW rod but it fit on the reelseat so, who knows maybe it could be used it
The Baja Guy

the rockfish ninja

[/quote]

about Lowprofile reels, mostly the reason is my smallest casting reel is a Saltist 20h, it feels big on that FW rod but it fit on the reelseat so, who knows maybe it could be used it
[/quote]

It took a minute to get used to a large reel on a thin rod, that's why the Valiant 300 & 500n are my go-to reels, lighter than most.

As for choosing blanks for SPJ, all I will say is that it's best to get one from a mfg that has more experience. UC, as good as they are, do not.
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

Swami805

I've been doing some SPJ of late and trying some different rods. I built one acid wrapped off of a rain shadow blank and don't card for it much. I'm really liking the older seeker Hercules blanks, the ones made of the old green S glass. I have a 70h, 70l,70xl, 80, 90 and 90h. My favorite so far is the 80 but all of the have a nice moderate action are very thin and light weight. I recently built a seeker tak90, feels good but haven't had a chance to use it.  All of them have a place depending on the depth, weight and action of the jig. Still a steep learning curve trying to figure out all the styles of jigs and best way to fish them. Got to get out a few more times this year
Do what you can with that you have where you are

thorhammer

Cmon Sheridan, show us build pics of the Seekers!

steelfish

Quote from: Swami805 on November 10, 2021, 09:50:05 PM
I've been doing some SPJ of late and trying some different rods. I built one acid wrapped off of a rain shadow blank and don't card for it much. I'm really liking the older seeker Hercules blanks, the ones made of the old green S glass. I have a 70h, 70l,70xl, 80, 90 and 90h. My favorite so far is the 80 but all of the have a nice moderate action are very thin and light weight. I recently built a seeker tak90, feels good but haven't had a chance to use it.  All of them have a place depending on the depth, weight and action of the jig. Still a steep learning curve trying to figure out all the styles of jigs and best way to fish them. Got to get out a few more times this year

dang Sheridan you are like those Bass guys that have 4-6 same rods rods but with different sizes and action in L, ML, M, MH, H, XH with same reel, just to dont lose time changing the lure because one rod have deep diving lure, medium water lure, surface, worm, etc.

I think I use the same rod for jiggin, trolling, live bait and shore fishing  ;D ;D

The Baja Guy