Shimano Calcutta 200B

Started by jeffro22, November 07, 2020, 07:03:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffro22

Quote from: Jenx on November 11, 2020, 05:09:27 PM
Jeff, I'm not sure if the 200 is different than the 100, but on the 100 you can pop off the left side plate, and there is a hole where the bearing is. There is a little black spacer pad between the hole and the bearing. I just pushed a small screwdriver into that hole, against the black spacer pad, and it popped the bearing out the other side.

thanks,  that worked perfect.  I appreciate the help.  I didn't know what that black pad was put it popped right out

Jenx

Quote from: SoCalAngler on November 11, 2020, 07:59:04 PM
Here in So Cal the Calcutta line of reels were never thought as great for freespool. I had a 400 for a couple of seasons many years back and I removed the shields and lubed/oiled the spool bearings and repacked the rest with grease. It improved the freespool a little but not by much. I also turn off any breaking on any reels I own that have that feature as I prefer to use my thumb for that.

Bending the handle should work but there was a aftermarket handle for those reels, even  new you could purchase the reels with them, that's how came and the way I wanted it. It was called a "live bait handle" and it had a single arm with a wooden knob. I'm not sure you would like them for your style of fishing or not, or if they even still make them. They may not fit your reel anyway as like I said mine was a 400.

In the live bait fishery we have here, freespool is pretty important not just for casting small or weak bait but keeping it as fresh and lively as it can be when reaching the zone.

I'm in So Cal as well. This summer I acquired a used Calcutta 400D for cheap. Calcuttas had never been on my radar before, but for the price I decided to give it a try. I haven't had a chance to use it much, but it feels good in my hands, and even with three breaks engaged this reel still gets 40 seconds of free spool. I do wish you could adjust the brakes without having to use a screwdriver though. I plan on using it on 1/2 day boats for bass and rockfish, since I prefer levelwinds for inshore application. I guess my one question is what is the point of owning a Calcutta reel now that Shimano has released the 200-400 Tranx reels? The Calcutta 400 and Tranx 400 are both listed as having the same line capacity, yet the Tranx has more drag, apparently casts better, and is cheaper. Are Calcuttas still being made just for those who prefer the feel of round reels, or are there other advantages to them? Maybe someday I will find a good deal on a Tranx 400 so I can compare the two side by side.

jeffro22

I am having an issue where my freespool is limited and feels "sticky".  loosening the cast control doesn't seem to have any effect.  takes a lot of effort to cast.  Otherwise reel functions fine and is smooth

I used new ceramic orange ABEC 7 shielded bearings.  I put a light coat of grease on all the internals (including gears, bearings, etc) is too much grease my problem?

philaroman

no grease on spool bearings -- drop of thin synthetic oil

redsetta

Check the levelwind mechanism is all moving freely too.
Even a wee dab of grease in the wormgear (or between the frame and spool) will slow things right down...
Should just be light oil in there, like the spool bearings.
Let us know how you get on.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

jeffro22

thanks for the help.  Ill wipe the grease off the bearings.

oc1

You can't wipe it off.  Have to dissolve it with a solvent to get down in the crevices.  Then spin it on the end of a pencil or something to sling off the fluid and make sure it's clean.
-steve