Rem Oil

Started by Scattergun2570, November 06, 2020, 10:52:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scattergun2570

I have seen some mentions of this here...more for external use..but.. my friend uses it in his bearings..says it's really good..I told h8m TSI 321 is supposedly the slickest stuff around,,so is Rem Oil as good as the 321?

Thanks ..R

RowdyW

Rem Oil is inferior to ts 321. I never heard or read anywhere that Rem Oil is any thing but a protectorant.      Rudy

rogan

Scattergun,

I had the pleasure of meeting a 35+year Remington employee about 10 years ago.  He started with the company in the 1970's on the 870 production line.  He explained that Rem oil was the left over cutting fluid that was filtered/cleaned after being used to facilitate machining operations, especially lathe operations in the manufacture of their firearms. "Nothing goes to waste" was how he explained it. Having used it for nearly 20 years, I would have to agree that it's not the best lubricant, since it's primary purpose is use as a cutting fluid.  But it does a good job of cleaning parts, removing rust and freeing up stuck parts. It will only last a few weeks at most, as it seems to "evaporate" off the metal surfaces. Maybe not the best way to describe it, just the easiest way for me to explain my experiences with it.  I would not use it as lub for bearings.  I have no idea if the current formula is the same since I have not purchased any new containers of it in several years, but by smell and consistency it seems to be the same fluid for the 20 years I have been using it.

Scattergun2570

Quote from: rogan on November 07, 2020, 06:31:08 AM
Scattergun,

I had the pleasure of meeting a 35+year Remington employee about 10 years ago.  He started with the company in the 1970's on the 870 production line.  He explained that Rem oil was the left over cutting fluid that was filtered/cleaned after being used to facilitate machining operations, especially lathe operations in the manufacture of their firearms. "Nothing goes to waste" was how he explained it. Having used it for nearly 20 years, I would have to agree that it's not the best lubricant, since it's primary purpose is use as a cutting fluid.  But it does a good job of cleaning parts, removing rust and freeing up stuck parts. It will only last a few weeks at most, as it seems to "evaporate" off the metal surfaces. Maybe not the best way to describe it, just the easiest way for me to explain my experiences with it.  I would not use it as lub for bearings.  I have no idea if the current formula is the same since I have not purchased any new containers of it in several years, but by smell and consistency it seems to be the same fluid for the 20 years I have been using it.

Interesting info..I`ve had a few 870`s over the years,but I never used Rem Oil. My friend said to me it was teflon based,,which I could not respond to..I have no idea what`s in it. In any case,he is using it in bearings,,haven`t heard him say there have been issues yet..time will tell.

Gobi King

I don't fish often and my stuff including my guns sit out for long periods of time.

Apply both as a control test to 2 reels and check it after 3 months and tell us which one you will continue using.

I picked tsi 321 as it did not dry up and retained lubing property for a bearing.

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Tiddlerbasher

I have checked reels I lubed, with TSI321, over 2 years ago - free spool is still good. For a bearing oil I don't use anything else. I also use it on guns and tool joints etc. I do not believe there is a better alround oil on the market - cheaper maybe but not better.

Scattergun2570

Quote from: Gobi King on November 07, 2020, 10:01:07 AM
I don't fish often and my stuff including my guns sit out for long periods of time.

Apply both as a control test to 2 reels and check it after 3 months and tell us which one you will continue using.

I picked tsi 321 as it did not dry up and retained lubing property for a bearing.

I wouldn`t use  the Rem Oil..just saying my friend did,and he seems to like it..time will tell.. I will also try his reel out to see what I think.

Scattergun2570

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on November 07, 2020, 10:43:38 AM
I have checked reels I lubed, with TSI321, over 2 years ago - free spool is still good. For a bearing oil I don't use anything else. I also use it on guns and tool joints etc. I do not believe there is a better alround oil on the market - cheaper maybe but not better.

Guns,,really? What part of the firearms do you use it?

Ron Jones

I LOVE rem oil for cleaning old rifle barrels. Almost as nice as fire lapping. Only application I could see with reels is breaking free stuck parts.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Tiddlerbasher

Quote from: Scattergun2570 on November 07, 2020, 11:11:40 PM
Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on November 07, 2020, 10:43:38 AM

Guns,,really? What part of the firearms do you use it?

If it moves/slides it gets TSI321