Mono or Braid Breaking Strength Truths??

Started by gstours, November 17, 2020, 01:53:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

As another dumb question and somewhat as a consumer.....  What percentage of the advertised line strength should the fishing line break at???  Manufacturers and retailers have their or No claims as an attorney might correct me they have no way to control outside the retailer , 
    Anybody know is 100#,  100,  or a percentage or ???
   This is with no knots.... just a pull on the line.... what percentage is true?    Plus or Minus a percent. ???

Swami805

Most breaks above the stated lb test unless it's IGFA rated then at or little below
Do what you can with that you have where you are

alantani

at the fred hall show, there is a knot tying contest at the izor booth.  my single san diego with 100# mono breaks at 100#'s every year, so the line has to be stronger than 100#'s.  just not sure by how much. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

gstours

Thanks for a reply, Boss ;)
  I guess this  confirms my superstition,  Test first, then you know.  You tested the knot and the line/leader.   In my recent testing of various knots the results seem to point at the fact the mono will break at the knot almost every time (95%).   
  To confirm my results I purchased 3 more mid priced brands of 80# flouro c and there results were the same.   Maybe its the line?
     I can mention the brands if its appropriate ?   I am lowering my expectations because of my results.