Shimano Sahara 4000FA Spinning Reel

Started by steelheadtom, December 05, 2020, 10:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelheadtom

I'm in need of an extra spool for my Shimano Sahara 4000FA...I've checked various websites and EBAY..none are available. However, there are a few spools for the Sahara 4000FB available...does anybody know if this spool for the 4000FB will fit and function with the FA, or is it a completely different animal? Also, anybody have any ideas on where to purchase the spool for the FA model?

philaroman

almost certainly, yes -- same rotor & drag knob in schematics
pretty sure Shimano's "spool slim-down" happened around 2000 between Sahara F & FA
(your original spool has a little raised flange on the bottom INSIDE of spool skirt -- correct?)
whole bunch of old 4000-size FROM SAME ERA will fit -- model matters less than years of production
check photos/schematics -- if it has same rotor design & drag knob is same diameter, it has compatible spools
best drop-right-in spool for your reel is Japan-made StradicFG or SymetreFH

FORGET fleaBay!!!

if you just want a nice 2nd spool, wait for Fred to chime in -- he is VERY fair, reasonable, prompt

if you want to spend $$$, modify/upgrade & waste time w/ a lazy procrastinator (albeit, honest), WINTER IS COMING   ;D
somewhere, I have: minty Sustain 4000FB spool; new Spirex 4000FE spool; new smaller drag knob that fits both (yours doesn't);
ball-bearing + all small parts for line-roller upgrade

oc1

See, this is why Shimano cannot get their act together with regards to parts.  Every year they have to change the model number and cosmetics.  Every time they change the model number or cosmetics a whole new set of part numbers are generated.  The volume of part numbers quickly becomes overwhelming.  There is no cross-reference guide that I'm aware of.  There's no way a repair shop could keep up with it and it seems as though Shimano itself cannot keep up with it because they stop providing parts within a few years of production.

You have to figure it's part of their grand marketing scheme and the situation is this way for economic reasons.

For example, your FA and FB show three different part numbers for the spool and a couple of different colors.
https://www.reelschematic.com/wp-content/uploads/schematics/Shimano/Sahara/SHIMANO%20SAHARA%20SH4000FA%282003%29.pdf
https://www.reelschematic.com/wp-content/uploads/schematics/Shimano/Sahara/SHIMANO%20SAHARA%20SH4000FA%282003%29.pdf

Were it not for people like Philaroman and Alan Tani it would be a hopeless mess.

Rant over.  Continue on.   :)
-steve