Shimano Tiagra 16 skipping in low gear

Started by Ed_win1985, December 11, 2020, 07:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed_win1985

Hi everyone, I was hoping to find some help or info on why my tiagra 16 is skipping when in low gear, bought this reel used but it was working great until in the middle of the fight with a 229# BFT that's when it started skipping in low gear (about 20lb of drag) but now still skips even under little pressure, watched some videos (Alan tani posted on YouTube)  of a talica, penn and makaira skipping in low gear while they were getting spool, and was wondering if you got to solve the problem or found out what the problem was.
Already sent the reel to shimano but they said it was the after market handle (reel colors)what is causing the problem (I doesn't make sense to me, but not sure) anyways I'm waiting on a stock handle that I just bought hoping that that will fix the problem (I doubt)
Any help or guidance will be much appreciated ✌🏼

alantani

there is a combination of springs in the shifter.  i think that they fatigue over time.  then, everytime it skips, the banging causes more damage to cross pin and the slots in the gears.  i'm trying to figure out a fix with my own makaira 20.  it's no fun.....   >:(
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

Ed_win1985

??? :-\ Sounds like no fun! Should replacing  those springs kind of solve the problem or do you think the problem is coming for somewhere else? I'll keep looking for more info (since not an expert on reels) if find anything I'll come back and share
Thanks again 🙏🏼

alantani