Penn 109 & 209 Line guide assembly

Started by Tate, November 17, 2020, 02:08:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tate

Hello,

Does anyone happen to know if the Penn 109 part 46-109 and Penn 209 part 42-209 are the same?  The ruler measurement on pennparts sure looks like it.  I've got a few reels that might need this part.

Thanks.
Tate

oc1

Quote from: Tate on November 17, 2020, 02:08:25 AM
Hello,

Does anyone happen to know if the Penn 109 part 46-109 and Penn 209 part 42-209 are the same?  The ruler measurement on pennparts sure looks like it.  I've got a few reels that might need this part.

Thanks.
Tate
A 209 is wider than a 109?  The 109 is the same width as the #9 though.
-ebenezer

mo65

Quote from: oc1 on November 17, 2020, 03:40:28 AM
A 209 is wider than a 109?  

Yes...the 209 is wider than the 109/peerless 9.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Penn's Level-Wind vintage series reels use different line guides — as well as different worm gears.

Part 46 is the wire line guide — and while they may look the same in a photo — they are different and specific to their reel.

9, 109, 209, 309 — plus LH versions.

It is important to order the exact part number for each reel from a reliable Penn Parts dealer such as Mystic Parts.

Lots of times, ebay amateur sellers just don't know the differences — and a wrong part is delivered and then delayed until the transaction is straightened out.

Part 42 is the worm gear — and as stated previously in this post — the widths of the reels are different — plus the connection ends and rod ends are different.

The bend angle & worm-collar are different on each model reel — although, they could appear close to the same.  

But they will not work unless they are the correct part.

I suggest just ordering what you need from Mystic for each reel.

Up where we live in the Sierra Nevadas — the 9 & 209 are used extensively for lead core trolling.  The worm, pawl, line guide, as well as the nylon idler gear — are all commonly replaced items due to the lateral stress on the LW system caused by the heavier line and the depth and stress on the LW system.

Great reels!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

reelrepair123

i found the 9 and 109 line guides are different, if you look at the line guide straight on, the guide has a collar that rides on the worm gear, one protrudes to the left side, one protrudes to the right, when cranking the reel, if you have them mixed up, the reel will bind when the guide goes to the end by the chrome ring on the sideplate, sorry i'm not sure which is which, i have it written down outside.    harryk