Jaws brand blanks?

Started by gstours, November 27, 2020, 03:12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Like you have said ,  the jig rod is a specialized tool...   in one rod selling site they had rods for  150g  250g 350g 450g jigs,  this is good ....not just line weight.  20-150#   Ive got lots of rods. :o   really!.  They all have their place,  and time..   Mostly my rods are for bait fishing halibut from a boat and are intended for 16-48 ounce leads in deep water from a rod holder... also i do agree with the facts of the rail, and rod length. and the two speed reeds with fast line pick up,   to me jigging is generally holding the rod and lifting.   Butt whe the boat is rolling and rocking this is good too.   have a break.   some good fish will surprise you when your not looking....
     Now i,d like to build another rod this winter and hope to reduce the guessing of what I will end up with.   
And i,m sorry to all the folks that may have been offended with my reference to this to being like getting a mail order bride.
   In my choosing a blank is kinda like what I stated.  I,m not a fussy person,  butt I know when the right tool is in my hands.
      The noodle rod is an option,   butt not for me right now.   
  I, d like to get out more and see and feel blanks and finished rods and that might help.   Maybe I will before spending a bunch of money?
    Thanks for the input,  I,m learning as we go.   ;)

boon

There's two ways you can buy a jig setup (or build a rod for one). You either look at where you'll be fishing (tide and depth) which dictates the size (and to an extent, shape) of jig you will need to use. You buy a rod rated to that, which will dictate (within reason) the line rating that matches the action of the rod. i.e. your average 300g rod is probably a "24kg" setup, meaning it's probably built to a maximum practical drag of around 12kg. So you choose a reel that will both balance with the rod, and hold sufficient capacity of the line you're going to use.

Or, you look at the average size fish you're likely to catch, choose a line rating that will deal with it, operating on a 50% drag setting... then find a rod that will fish to that, again a balanced reel, and then choose jigs of the required weight in a shape that suits the conditions you fish. Most jig rods you see these days tend to have both a jig weight rating and a line class, although often the line class is unhelpfully in PE which is completely meaningless nowadays when a PE4 braid can break anywhere from maybe 40lb to north of 70lb.

Fishamen7

We have lots of these pencil jigging rods here in japan.  The main function of the rod is to impart the desired action to the jig, fighting the fish is left to the reel.  When fighting a big fish on one of these rods the rod is always pointed down into the water essentially taking the rod out of the fight.  Most have a very bendy parabolic action.

gstours

Thanks again for even more information.   Now I see why some 350-450g rods are marketed in shorter persuasion than lesser rated rods.🧐🐈   It's been my unknowning feeling that I've adopted subconsciously with my limited experience.   My  bait rods are 6 to 5 1/2 feet long.   When I'm fishing heavy lead, baits I will always choose the shorter rod.  I noticed that in heavy jigs when the rod is heavy and shorter more action is departing to the jig and less is wasted inthe rod ,  and when I can a lighter rod is used to sorta match the weight of the jig to the rod to a point.   This to me does improve productivity and is a prevelige....   Butt my current rods are feeling clunky even with smaller reels.   The small reels do feel sporty and the high speed retrieving is better, actually a must now for me,  line weight ratings tome don't mean much.   
  My jigs don't have to depart much action (fluttering, darting, etc). But feeling the bottom and getting the hooks set and steering the fish are important.   Reducing the overall weight of the set up is important to help you from tiring,  less is better.   
  Thanks to everyone for sharing your thoughts.  🦑
  On my boat I generally have 6+ personal rods for what the day is planned.   If i went with a friend I would take 2-3 and get the eye brows raised,  butt I can't do with less.    Many reasons.
  Currently I am planning a 350 g or so rod build.   Above 450g we are getting closer to what I've already got,  butt still feel heavy and clunky......like someone might say,   Lighten up buddy?🎣

gstours

One of my favorite halibut blanks is  cALSTAR gRAFIGHTER, gf 760 L its a 30-80# rated, and wish the Calstar folks offered a 20-60# or something like that butt they dont,  this leaves me with the crap shoot. 
  Seeker jig rod blanks seem like an option butt,  here again they have butt diameters starting at .99 inch and weights of 13 to 15 ounces and this does not compute to anything like what i,m used to.  Does anyone know what I mean,,    no jig weight rating.
  Thanks for more info.    ;)

jurelometer

Quote from: gstours on December 02, 2020, 06:30:37 PM
 One of my favorite halibut blanks is  cALSTAR gRAFIGHTER, gf 760 L its a 30-80# rated, and wish the Calstar folks offered a 20-60# or something like that butt they dont,  this leaves me with the crap shoot.  
 Seeker jig rod blanks seem like an option butt,  here again they have butt diameters starting at .99 inch and weights of 13 to 15 ounces and this does not compute to anything like what i,m used to.  Does anyone know what I mean,,    no jig weight rating.
 Thanks for more info.    ;)

In case you hav not seen this yet:  The Calstar site does not list action, but this retailer does and has a handy feature for sorting based on length, action, etc.

https://www.mudhole.com/custom-rod-building-blanks/rod-building-blanks-brands/calstar-rod-blanks/calstar-grafighter-series-rod-blanks?order=custitem_product_length

I will look up the blank for my 6' grafighter.  It is going to be on the too light side of want you are looking for, so maybe it will help bracket your choice.

Maybe also take rod action into account, and  consider going a tad longer (6'6"),  and a bit more bendy  (moderate action) if the main plan is to work jigs under 300 grams around slack water.   Split the difference and get a little more "jiggy"  without going whole hog.  What about going straight fiberglass?  I don't  know if Calstar is still making Eglass  live bait or jig sticks.

Gary and I were talking a bit about rod holders and jigging.  For those of you wondering why we do this: when you are bounce jigging in deeper water,  It takes too long to wind all the way up every time you need to help somebody or futz with something on the boat, so you just wind up enough to guarantee that you won't snag, turn on the clicker, and stick the rod in a holder.  With a bit of wave action, you can get a nice bounce  and maybe pick up another bite or two.   The rod holder sometimes outfishes the fishermen  :D

And just from a safety standpoint, it is nice to not have to decide whether to reel in and stow a rod before dealing with a situation that is starting to go south, like a guest flailing around with the bait knife on a rocking boat ("Let me help you with that")  :)

-J

jurelometer

Quote from: jurelometer on December 02, 2020, 10:27:22 PM
I will look up the blank for my 6' grafighter.  It is going to be on the too light side of want you are looking for, so maybe it will help bracket your choice.

GF600XL    1    Calstar Grafighter - 6' 10-25lb. B0.76 T6 Ex-Fast

I would say that 150 grams is the top end for optimal jig weight for this rod, but I can overload up to 250 for bounce jigging when I have to.  It  is my favorite for drop jigging shallow water rockfish with a newell 220 or similar sized reel.   Next size up from this would still be too light for you by my guess.

Your favorite GF760L is definitely on the fat tip/skinny butt side- I see a 6'6"  GF765XL  with the same size butt but one full size smaller at the tip (9 down to 8) - rated at 20 to 50 lb.  Downside could be that it  might end up being too  close to the same as your 760L, just extended another 6 inches at the tip. Doesn't look like they make a 760XL, which might be what you are looking for.

-J

Swami805

Check out united composite blanks too, they might have what you're looking for. They make some really high quality stuff, they have a jigging line called Zeus. Getbit outdoors has them online
Do what you can with that you have where you are

gstours

Thanks again for the additional info.   I don't know if I've ever explored United composites and with soon.
   Going back to the grafighter lineup.
Listed is a gf 600h rated line 25-40# size 7 tip with blank weight of 9.4 oz.   the fav bait rod 760L is 8.1 oz
   So the line rating and tip are smaller butt the H rating and material weight is quite a bit more.

Also listed is a gf600m. 6 ft, 20-40# size 6 tip with .83" butt and weight of 8.5 oz.
   This medium action seems like what I,m looking for butt the low line rating and even smaller tip may mean too light for my 350g. Butt it might be great too?😋.    Maybe I'm confused 🤷‍♀️.

gstours

Thanks for the tip Mr.Swami805...I never have dealt with them,  butt after looking at their products for rod building they actually seem better than Acidrod or Mudhole for some things.... Like another person here said,  "another arrow in your quiver"  sorta.
  And you were right on for the possible jig rod blanks from United Comp.  One more thing was good for me is they advertised free shipping for a low limit.  Some others do as well.  Its value added butt not to make or break the bank.   Butt my good wife the banker gave ??? me the look again. :o
   And thanks to everyone for adding information.  Remember if I catch a fish you will get a video!   ;)