What makes it a "freshwater" reel?

Started by JasonGotaProblem, December 01, 2020, 04:16:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

I have a strong suspicion this is gonna have multiple conflicting answers, potentially varying by company, but party on. What makes a reel specifically a freshwater reel? What makes one a freshwater only reel?

What color are the uniforms of the reel police coming to brutalize me for breaking such a rule?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

philaroman

if it dissolves in S/W, LOL

seriously, all weight reduction / no salt protection...  magnesium frames...  heavily ported...  etc.

oc1

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: oc1 on December 01, 2020, 08:40:59 AM
If you use it in freshwater.
-s
If I stand in a garage do I become a car?

Gobi King

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on December 01, 2020, 02:43:07 PM
Quote from: oc1 on December 01, 2020, 08:40:59 AM
If you use it in freshwater.
-s
If I stand in a garage do I become a car?

if you get down to all fours,

I have been told that in order to fish for a species one needs to match rod/reel to that species.

For example, you are not going to catch me fishing for cat fish with a rod with the word "Muskie" on the side, total faux pas!

--------------------------  ::)

Salt water - more holes to drain out the salt water and flush with fresh?
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Rancanfish

I have never paid attention.  I use them where I want to and then clean it up if warranted by salt water exposure.  Some reels are sealed better but I still check them out afterward.  If I don't check,  I end up in my easy chair wondering if there's corrosion going on.

(Makes Tani disciple gang sign).
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Maxed Out

Some Penn reels came with "freshwater seats" that have slightly narrowed seat tongue to fit rods with smaller seats
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

boon

Materials and sealing, as far as I know.

Fresh water reels can get away with being lighter, more finesse reels through less concerns with corrosion resistance.

If "dissolves in salt water" is the criteria, I feel like my Talicas might be somewhat freshwater reels  :'( :'(

handi2

Shimano has a huge lineup of freshwater reels but they are made to be used in saltwater if that makes any sense. The Stradic and all its versions are under their "freshwater" reel designation. Even my highly used 2500 Sustain.

Its all in the material used. Steel spool shafts and drag parts just touch the surface.

Keith

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Brewcrafter

If I had to guess (and only my guess), I would say it is holdover of a marketing buzzword designation like "new and improved" that probably dates way, way back before we were all kids.  I would even guess that in the early parts of the 20th Century that "saltwater" fishing could be seen as somewhat elitist or synonymous with "Big Game" fishing, and in a time when most of America received their news through papers and magazines, they would see "saltwater" as a big deal (for many depression era folks a weekend trip to the seashore was a "big deal").  That farm pond, lake or river at home had limits - you knew them and you could see them.  But the concept of saltwater and the ocean - limitless potential.  Kids growing up at that time in school would have had to read (I hear they had things called "books" back then) stories like Moby Dick.  Periodicals would have stories or new releases by/about rock stars of the time like Zane Grey and Hemingway, and clearly there would be a romance around that - suddenly the term "saltwater" seems sexy. When you think about the perceptions, you have freshwater fishing being seen as diverse as either Tom Sawyer with a cane pole and worms; or a "country club type" with a fly rod smoking a pipe.  Imagine trying to describe to a person of that time period a 400 Horsepower, 70 MPH Ranger bass boat (metalflake gelcoat!) and the concept of wearing sponsorship logos while fishing  :D.   In practical terms I would think the big differences in equipment physically would be purely size/capacity - after all, there are probably very few situations in fresh water where you need a 9/0 Penn with harness lugs (okay, Shibly going for monsters on Lake Michigan).  And Jurelometer has kind of touched on this with regards to the fly fishing realm - nobody wants to hang a $20 fly reel on a $300 fly rod, no matter how simplistic the construction of those reels are.  So you can guess manufacturers maybe would or could use the words "saltwater" to tack a few extra $$ on the price.  I looked at some of my old 70's era Penn's and really some of the verbiage on those boxes we would find as incongruous as "salt water".  For example, my old 68 Long Beach boasts of "non-strip gears" and "IGFA".  Clearly trying to impart a perception to the buyer. - john

AC49

Quote from: Maxed Out on December 01, 2020, 05:49:47 PM
Some Penn reels came with "freshwater seats" that have slightly narrowed seat tongue to fit rods with smaller seats

What Ted said

Regards
AC49

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Brewcrafter on December 02, 2020, 07:28:53 AM
If I had to guess (and only my guess), I would say it is holdover of a marketing buzzword designation like "new and improved" that probably dates way, way back before we were all kids.  I would even guess that in the early parts of the 20th Century that "saltwater" fishing could be seen as somewhat elitist or synonymous with "Big Game" fishing, and in a time when most of America received their news through papers and magazines, they would see "saltwater" as a big deal (for many depression era folks a weekend trip to the seashore was a "big deal").  That farm pond, lake or river at home had limits - you knew them and you could see them.  But the concept of saltwater and the ocean - limitless potential.  Kids growing up at that time in school would have had to read (I hear they had things called "books" back then) stories like Moby Dick.  Periodicals would have stories or new releases by/about rock stars of the time like Zane Grey and Hemingway, and clearly there would be a romance around that - suddenly the term "saltwater" seems sexy. When you think about the perceptions, you have freshwater fishing being seen as diverse as either Tom Sawyer with a cane pole and worms; or a "country club type" with a fly rod smoking a pipe.  Imagine trying to describe to a person of that time period a 400 Horsepower, 70 MPH Ranger bass boat (metalflake gelcoat!) and the concept of wearing sponsorship logos while fishing  :D.   In practical terms I would think the big differences in equipment physically would be purely size/capacity - after all, there are probably very few situations in fresh water where you need a 9/0 Penn with harness lugs (okay, Shibly going for monsters on Lake Michigan).  And Jurelometer has kind of touched on this with regards to the fly fishing realm - nobody wants to hang a $20 fly reel on a $300 fly rod, no matter how simplistic the construction of those reels are.  So you can guess manufacturers maybe would or could use the words "saltwater" to tack a few extra $$ on the price.  I looked at some of my old 70's era Penn's and really some of the verbiage on those boxes we would find as incongruous as "salt water".  For example, my old 68 Long Beach boasts of "non-strip gears" and "IGFA".  Clearly trying to impart a perception to the buyer. - john
Great post. I didn't really think of that aspect. That explains why moat ultralights seem to be listed as a freshwater reel, even though nothing about them seems to preclude usage beyond a pond. That's been a hurdle that has made my search for a salt friendly ultralight confusing. There's like 6 of them listed as salt friendly but like 6000 freshwatwr ultralights of which some must actually be salt friendly, even if on accident.

foakes

The question "What Makes a Freshwater Reel?" — could be easily answered by asking:

What makes a saltwater reel?

Then everything that isn't a saltwater resistant reel — is a freshwater reel...

Of course, any reel can be used in salt or fresh water — providing the angler is aware of the limitations and is up to regular servicing in the case of SW reels.

That said, a saltwater reel has more robust features and materials to repel the effects of salt issues on the inside and outside of a reel.  Galvanized parts, salt resistant finishes, SS, seals, drain holes, special surface treatments, heavier duty all around.

In answering Jason's question — it is just like the Secret Service does when training new agents to recognize all of the variations and types of counterfeit currency.  They don't start by pointing out the seemingly limitless examples of counterfeit money that they have come across over the last 100 years.

Instead, the new trainees are only drilled and taught to recognize what legitimate currency looks like.  Every tiny detail, every tell, every mostly over-looked microscopic detail of real currency.

Anything else is counterfeit.  Just memorize every detail of the original and true bills.

So, just like counterfeit money — we don't need to know every marketing claim about salt-water resistance — we just need to know what a true salt water reel looks like inside and out. 

What is left over (the vast majority) are basically either freshwater, or salt resistant reels to some degree.

The other aspect is the strength of the reel and its components — and it's ability to handle large salt-species and tougher fishing conditions in a consistently repeatable fashion — without premature failing.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oc1

That's a really good way to look at it Fred.  If I'm not mistaken, that also implies that your DAM Quick reels are saltwater reels.  I didn't notice anything inside that looked susceptible to salt.  Perhaps those old maroon Shakespeare too?  How about a Mitchell 300 or an Ambassadeur 5000?  I do not recall any of these being touted as saltwater reels but guys fishing saltwater used them all the time.

Modern Shimano, Diawa and such have so many small parts, bearings and magnesium pieces that they seem to be more difficult to keep running in saltwater.  One salt crystal, grain of sand or spot of corrosion can jam up the works.  The Shimano answer is to seal the reel from the elements.  But, that drives the cost up almost an order of magnitude and only works for spinners.

Gee, I really am a geezer.

-steve

foakes

Yes, I think you are right, Steve —

The medium to larger DAM Quicks, larger Mitchell's like the 302, 488, etc., the old larger Langleys and Shakes — all are good Salt spinners.

Lots of folks use Ambassadeurs, Daiwas, and Shimanos in the salt — however, as you said — because of their massive amount of extra small and delicate parts — it is a recipe for a short fishing life — unless serviced pretty completely and regularly after every outing.

Lots of anglers use Mitchell 300's as well as Zebco push button closed face reels.  These are just disposable reels at that point.  Nothing wrong with that — we just have to know the difference.

All of the parts on Dam Quicks are non-corrosive — but the only ones I would use in the salt would be the 500 size reels.  

550, 550N, 5000, 5001, 270, and 275.

Of these, the 270 Super is specifically designed and manufactured for the Salt.  HD, special finishes, over-built, simple, strong, and only the parts necessary to have a successful fishing experience.

Most conventional reels will do well in the salt.

And, of course, there are hundreds of either high dollar, or fairly inexpensive salt spinners coming from the Asian manufacturers.  Too many for me to keep up with.  And generally, even on reels costing over $1000 — parts are not supported past 2 to 4 years — if at all, on these Asian reels.  Shimano Stellas are a good example of this — and then you could buy a Fin-Nor Lethal 100 for around 12% of what a Stella runs — and you will have a decent salt spinning reel.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.