Coatings on guides? (Spinning rod)

Started by JasonGotaProblem, December 04, 2020, 04:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

When watching slow motion video the obvious take-away message for me is that you should use baitcasting reels instead of spinning reels.  With that mess coming off the fixed spool it's no wonder that conventional reels outperform spinning reels when casting.
-steve

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: oc1 on December 06, 2020, 09:30:01 PM
When watching slow motion video the obvious take-away message for me is that you should use baitcasting reels instead of spinning reels.  With that mess coming off the fixed spool it's no wonder that conventional reels outperform spinning reels when casting.
-steve
How far can you throw a shrimp with no weights on 30 lb braid?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

JasonGotaProblem

So I got to test it out this weekend. Nothing substantial was biting so I didn't get to test it structurally, but it casts great and is super sensitive for the little fellas that were hungry this weekend. I gotta say I love it.

Jeri

-steve

Firstly, love to see you casting 20-25lb braid off a baitcaster, unless you really clamp down on the braking it will inevitably end up in a mess and hence lose serious potential distance. Not that casting braid on baitcasters can't be done, but folks have to go up seriously in size so some of the advantages of using braid are lost.

The problem, isn't the problem of the unruly line coming off the spinner, the problem is efficiently getting it all under control and smoothed out, then braid and spinners excel.

oc1

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on December 06, 2020, 11:13:40 PM

Quote from: Jeri on December 07, 2020, 05:44:28 AM
love to see you casting 20-25lb braid off a baitcaster,

I haven't used live shrimp for bait in twenty years, but I'd do in a minute if it was possible get them here.  A 45 count shrimp weights about 10 grams or 3/8 ounce.  I throw a 3/8 ounce bucktail with thick dubbing about 45 yards.  A 1/4 ounce bucktail goes about 35-37 yards.  That is with 20# braid which is what I usually use.

I love small reels but when they get really small they will not hold the 110 yards of 20# braid needed to keep from getting spooled.  So, for them I drop down to 10# or 15# braid.  The lighter line will cast a few extra yards, but there is no margin for error if it ever touches the bottom.  The bottom is a mixture of live and dead coral that's as sharp as a knife

My go-to reels are 60- to 95-year old tournament-grade knuckle busters.  That's Langley Target 340 from the late 1950's and Shakespeare 1740 from mid 1920's.  They have static magnets (modern add-on) and freespool clutch, but no anti-reverse, no ball bearings and no drag except my thumb.  Thumbing the spool will give me about three pounds of drag before it gets too hot and raises a blister.  Ten pound line is plenty big for three pounds of drag, but there is that abrasion problem.

-steve

Jeri

So, distance compromised and requiring a high level of skill............... more power to your elbow or thumb!   :)

Trouble is that the general angling public do not have that level of skill, so spinning reels are unfortunately the answer. So, better to come up with guide spacing and type solutions to accommodate the larger population.

Something that we have seen, even in our fishery, is more people that can truly cast beyond 200m since the change to braid and spinning reels, where before they were a true rarity.

The whole game of angling is an evolving entity, boosted on by technology in the materials that we use, so require understanding and evolving refinements to accommodate the improvements.

oc1

Quote from: Jeri on December 07, 2020, 08:23:05 AM
So, distance compromised and requiring a high level of skill............... more power to your elbow or thumb!   :)

In other posts here at AT I described using a spinner with the same blank, the same line, and the same bucktails trying to squeeze out more distance then the old baitcasting reels.  I didn't work and distance was not improved.  Look it up.  I think you responded with your same dogma at the time.

I do not consider myself an especially good caster.  But, there is no skill required once the magnets are dialed in.  There is no thumb control; just throw it and stop the spool after splash down.  I did not know that casting could be hard on the elbow.  I have all sorts of aches and pains but elbow problems has never been one of them.

There has been time to experiment with other baitcasting reels too.  I've tried plenty.  The Shimano Curado 70 followed by Shimano Antares are my favorite modern baitcasting reels.  Unfortunately, they did not give me more distance.  They did require much more maintenance are are noticeably heavier then the old Langleys.
-steve

Jeri

'More power to your elbow', is an English expression, offering praise - nothing negative intended. People united and divided by a common language.......  :)

I've nothing against multipliers, used some of mine a couple of weeks ago demonstrating the benefits of spiral wrapped rod to a possible client. We just don't fish such super light weight  systems as you do.

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: oc1 on December 07, 2020, 07:15:00 AM

Quote from: Jeri on December 07, 2020, 05:44:28 AM
love to see you casting 20-25lb braid off a baitcaster,

I haven't used live shrimp for bait in twenty years, but I'd do in a minute if it was possible get them here.  A 45 count shrimp weights about 10 grams or 3/8 ounce.  I throw a 3/8 ounce bucktail with thick dubbing about 45 yards.  A 1/4 ounce bucktail goes about 35-37 yards.  That is with 20# braid which is what I usually use.

I love small reels but when they get really small they will not hold the 110 yards of 20# braid needed to keep from getting spooled.  So, for them I drop down to 10# or 15# braid.  The lighter line will cast a few extra yards, but there is no margin for error if it ever touches the bottom.  The bottom is a mixture of live and dead coral that's as sharp as a knife

My go-to reels are 60- to 95-year old tournament-grade knuckle busters.  That's Langley Target 340 from the late 1950's and Shakespeare 1740 from mid 1920's.  They have static magnets (modern add-on) and freespool clutch, but no anti-reverse, no ball bearings and no drag except my thumb.  Thumbing the spool will give me about three pounds of drag before it gets too hot and raises a blister.  Ten pound line is plenty big for three pounds of drag, but there is that abrasion problem.

-steve

Not bad for an old guy with no balls (bearings). I am convinced that conventionals and baitcasters likely win when it comes to throwing heavier weights, but I do believe for the lighter stuff a spinner wins out on average.

No shrimp in Hawaii huh? Didn't know that, I always thought shrimp were the ubiquitous saltwater bait.

Agree about line cap though, same issue on the smaller spinners. I'll happily run a light drag, but only if I have enough line to let a big fella tire himself out without spooling me.

steelfish

-steve

Jason, I can cast any of these U12 shrimps 50yds with 30# braid on my abu garcia beast, but I WILL never do it, those shrimps belong to the frying pan not as bait.

on a more serious note, there is a whole new movement of casting really light weights with a baitcasting reel, lures used normally with fly fishing equipment are being used with realy UUL light rods and BFS reels (baitcaster finesse system), so its not there because its easier or better but because its more fun and also add a bit more challenge to fish a 2# or 5# fish than just go out and cast 1/8 lure with the classic UL rod with a small spinning reel and 2# mono or 6# braid, that even a 5yo kid can do it.
I know my man Steve (OC1) have been doing it this way since many years ago without been aware of the new BFS modality

when I just want to spend an hour on the local rock pier I take a light rod and 2500 size spinning reel, but when I feel like enjoying the day even with the high chance of no fish then I take my lightest steelhead rod 9ft 25gr rod and a old shimano bantam magnumlite reel with 20# braid and cast 1/4 spoons, not a UL rod or BFS reel per se but it add more entertainment to my fishing hours

but I know this is not related to the OP question, so I will stop here.

The Baja Guy

JasonGotaProblem

Those are some impressive shrimp. I've used some about 80% that size as bait when I got the chance to do so. Felt questionable at the time but it got me a very large snook so it may have been justified at the end of the day.

Steve has his opinions about spinners, and while I'm certainly not opposed to conventionals, I do enjoy some good natured bickering about functionally irrelevant things.