Specialized Ball Bearings?

Started by Gfish, December 19, 2020, 04:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

4- ball bearings came out of a GT model series(this one a "GLD 330") Penn. These are a "Super level-wind" graphite reel from the early 2000's and 2-models in the series have a lever drag, including this'n. I counted 14 model series of graphite reels by Penn, from the late 80's to present. Never realized Penn went that far with the plastic.
"Axial" is printed on all of 'em. Anyone know if they are specialized for an axial load as well as radial? My untrained eye can't see any difference.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

SoCalAngler

I'm not 100% sure but I think when you see "axial" it just means a deep grooved bearing, And how I understand it deep groove bearings can take a bit more axial load than a standard bearing.

Tiddlerbasher

These days a 'deep grooved bearing' is a 'standard' bearing. I'm not convinced the 'axial' bit means that much. If they ain't angular contact they are regular 'deep groove' bearings unless, of course, they are a thrust bearing ;)

jurelometer

Look to see if there is a "V" or other directional marker, showing which side of the bearing is designed to  bear more axial load.   You might also be able to see that one side of the groove that the balls ride in is taller than the other.

Axial ball bearings can be sort of a hybrid between a normal ball bearing and a angular contact bearing, managing a bit more axial load but only in one direction.  I don't know if there is any sort of formal rule about labeling and marking.  Might just be marketing nonsense as Tiddlebasher suggested ???

-J

Gfish

I'll check. Thank you, all. But I might haveta wait awhile cause I already went through it.
Penn did a good job with the grease at the factory. Says "PENN USA" on the reel and the box says "made in the USA". Manufactured: 2006-2010. Maybe do a teardown/comments post. Don't read it though, if you don't negitivity---I found too many friction/pressure areas using graphite where metal parts could have been fitted in...
BTW, which side of a pinion bearing(spool, or side-plate) takes all the drag load? And if they crunch all the time, could a solid bushing be used instead?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

philaroman

Quote from: jurelometer on December 19, 2020, 07:26:57 PM
Look to see if there is a "V" or other directional marker, showing which side of the bearing is designed to  bear more axial load.   You might also be able to see that one side of the groove that the balls ride in is taller than the other.

Axial ball bearings can be sort of a hybrid between a normal ball bearing and a angular contact bearing, managing a bit more axial load but only in one direction.  I don't know if there is any sort of formal rule about labeling and marking.  Might just be marketing nonsense as Tiddlebasher suggested ???

-J

wouldn't those just be flanged...   in a sane world  ::)

oc1

You have to assume that something as inexpensive as a fishing reel will have some teensy-weensy misalignment of the spool shaft.  So, being able to handle a small amount of angular contact can do nothing but help.  Right??
-steve

jurelometer

Quote from: philaroman on December 20, 2020, 12:08:03 AM
Quote from: jurelometer on December 19, 2020, 07:26:57 PM

-J

wouldn't those just be flanged...   in a sane world  ::)

The flange serves a different purpose.  It holds the  bearing in place without requiring a fixed depth pocket.  It does not change the axial load capability.

Quote from: Gfish on December 19, 2020, 10:24:12 PM
I'll check. Thank you, all. But I might haveta wait awhile cause I already went through it.
Penn did a good job with the grease at the factory. Says "PENN USA" on the reel and the box says "made in the USA". Manufactured: 2006-2010. Maybe do a teardown/comments post. Don't read it though, if you don't negitivity---I found too many friction/pressure areas using graphite where metal parts could have been fitted in...
BTW, which side of a pinion bearing(spool, or side-plate) takes all the drag load? And if they crunch all the time, could a solid bushing be used instead?

On most (all?) lever drags , I think that the axial load on the pinion bearing and far side bearing  will be on the outside (way from the spool).