Main Menu

USPS

Started by thorhammer, December 27, 2020, 12:39:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Not really news, but I ordered a part off bay Dec 14, which seller sent immediately, same day, USPS. It sat in the USPS facility for 10 days in Md until 900pm Dec 24.....an eccentric in an envelope.

ReelFishingProblems

I had a similar issue. Opened a USPS package research case. The package showed up two days later. It sat in a distribution center for 11 days

happyhooker

Christmas card from Denver arrived today (12/26).  Would have flown from that city to Twin Cities.  Postmarked Dec. 15.

I have always supported the USPS.  But, crummy service is not likely to promote loyalty or new customers (not rocket science).

Frank

thorhammer

Quote from: ReelFishingProblems on December 27, 2020, 12:59:22 AM
I had a similar issue. Opened a USPS package research case. The package showed up two days later. It sat in a distribution center for 11 days

Had I known it was in Md, I wouldve just driven the four hours, got the eccentric, then swung by to sample that tenderloin and bourbon you had....

Crow

I have a fiend, at home, who is retired from the Postal Service....I "queried" him about the unusually poor service this year,and in his email reply, he said'
"Well I did a little research, and found that there were 711 mail sorting machines taken down and dismantled this year. Each machine can sort 3600 pieces of mail per hour. That's 2,559,600 pieces of mail PER HOUR less being sorted then last year. Now mail has to go farther to be shorted as well."

I trust my friend, and can only trust his "research", as well !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

oc1

Likewise.... but just a little bit.  I sent priority 3-day flat rate boxes from Oahu to the Big Island, Alaska, California, Texas and New York.  Each took about six days instead of three, but all arrived safe and sound.  I'm satisfied, what with the pandemic, their agency being turned upside down by a dysfunctional director, and acute low moral.

-steve

happyhooker

In my small town in Minn., mail deposited in the past went into "local" and "out-of-town" boxes.  Local mail was postmarked on site and placed for delivery; you could mail a letter by 8AM and it would be postmarked and delivered the same day.  Almost all the US out-of-town mail went to a sorting center less than 50 mi. away, and 90% was delivered within 2 days and almost all the rest within 3 days.  They eventually deleted the "local" box at the post office, but mail still went to the same sorting center and came back to town to be delivered the next day. Last change had all mail going to a sorting center 150+ miles away.  Local mail is usually delivered in 2 or 3 days.  Anything that has to go on a plane from the sorting center city is supposed to be delivered within 2 or 3 days, but my non-scientific survey says 3 days minimum and usually a day or two more than that.  Around the holidays, all bets are off, and this year, in-town mail is a minimum of three days and out-of-town anywhere from 5 to 10 days.

I'm old enough to remember mail being delivered in town at least twice a day.  A 1st class letter would go anywhere in the lower 48 in 2 or 3 days and for an extra few pennies, you could go airmail and most letters made it in 1 or 2 days.  Special delivery still existed as well; that has been gone for 25+ yrs. now, I suppose.

No matter how you slice it, despite all the technological progress, I am strongly of the opinion that the speed and quality of mail service has decreased gradually but greatly over the past 30-40 years.  No sign of improvement either. And, the prices keep going up.

Frank

Jim Fujitani

Well....

When you have a PostMaster General (Louis Dejoy, hand-picked appointee by the Board of Governors of the USPS, in June 2020), who takes sorting machines off line, taken apart and parts disseminated and /or destroyed; who does not act to place machines back on-line, in violation of a Federal Court order; you would expect that mail would be impacted (slowed).

The Board of Governors of the USPS (9 positions) are presidential appointees requiring senate confirmation.  Of those 9 positions, only 5 may be from the same political party (currently, only 4 Republican and 2 Democratic seats are filled, all appointed by President Trump).  The Board requires a quorum of 6, but can operate with fewer under temporary emergency).  The Board of Governors of the USPS was last complete in 2014.
The Board of Governors of the USPS selects the PMG and Deputy PMG, both of whom also sit on the "Board of the USPS".  The board selects the Postal Inspector General as well.   

And when PMG Dejoy is replaced, how will the USPS pay for new mail sorting machines?

Gobi King

Quote from: thorhammer on December 27, 2020, 12:39:45 AM
Not really news, but I ordered a part off bay Dec 14, which seller sent immediately, same day, USPS. It sat in the USPS facility for 10 days in Md until 900pm Dec 24.....an eccentric in an envelope.

yeah, same here, I bought a whole bunch of stuff and looks like all the East Coast USPS staff were abducted by aliens!
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

oc1

Quote from: Jim Fujitani on December 27, 2020, 09:48:29 PM
Well....

When you have a PostMaster General (Louis Dejoy, hand-picked appointee by the Board of Governors of the USPS, in June 2020), who takes sorting machines off line, taken apart and parts disseminated and /or destroyed; who does not act to place machines back on-line, in violation of a Federal Court order; you would expect that mail would be impacted (slowed).

The Board of Governors of the USPS (9 positions) are presidential appointees requiring senate confirmation.  Of those 9 positions, only 5 may be from the same political party (currently, only 4 Republican and 2 Democratic seats are filled, all appointed by President Trump).  The Board requires a quorum of 6, but can operate with fewer under temporary emergency).  The Board of Governors of the USPS was last complete in 2014.
The Board of Governors of the USPS selects the PMG and Deputy PMG, both of whom also sit on the "Board of the USPS".  The board selects the Postal Inspector General as well.   

And when PMG Dejoy is replaced, how will the USPS pay for new mail sorting machines?

Thorough description.  Thank you Jim.  I guess nobody ever said it had to make sense.
-steve

smnaguwa

We sent a box of fruit from California to our friend in Rhode Island 3 weeks ago. She hasn't received it yet. Hope it isn't a box of fruit mush.

thorhammer

still nothing, and now the email with my tracking is gone....wondered if it was retracted....

SteveL

Quote from: thorhammer on December 28, 2020, 03:56:45 PM
still nothing, and now the email with my tracking is gone....wondered if it was retracted....

Check your email for a trash or deleted folder.  It may be moved there.  If not, try looking in your browser's history for the last time you viewed the tracking info.   The link in history may contain the tracking number. 

Wompus Cat

They read this thread and the( Soup Nazi )  off Seinfield is in charge of complaints.....
just sayin  ::)
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Gfish

Quote from: Wompus Cat on December 28, 2020, 04:33:35 PM

They read this thread and the( Soup Nazi )  off Seinfield is in charge of complaints.....
just sayin  ::)

HA! My favorite Seinfeld episode. "NO MAIL FOR YOU!"
When I was a kid, my dad who perhaps had an excessive sense of humor, would always use that "Nazi" put-down for cold, overly authoritative people.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!