Main Menu

USPS

Started by thorhammer, December 27, 2020, 12:39:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

Just shipped a USPS box and paid a kings ransom for guaranteed 1day delivery, but delivery date is for 2 days from now. Yep, the soup nazi is alive and well !
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

oc1

When it really has to get there on time you are better off using FedEx.  It's more expensive and they have their own set of problems, but at least they still take responsibility for their actions.  USPS does not.

You see a lot of that in all things these days.  The pandemic is used as an excuse for poor performance.
-s

Shark Hunter

They have been good to me this year. Ordered this the 16th. Came on the 21st. ;D

Life is Good!

Midway Tommy

All I can attest to is that over the years I have had little to no problems with USPS, only maybe once or twice & they really weren't USPS's fault. Case in point, I purchased a 10" x12" sheet of 4 ply tortoise shell plastic @ 9:00 PM CST on Tue, Dec 22, standard delivery from the Huston area. It couldn't be shipped until Wed, the 23, and it arrived in today's mail, the 28th. Not too shabby, IMHO, considering 2 of the 5 days were Christmas day & a Sunday.  
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Gfish

Maybe it's a regional thing.

Whoa, Daron. Home defense?, or are you goin into business for yourself?
I used to use a pistol grip Remy Police Mag for backpacking and home protection, with a sincere hope that ejecting an empty shell a racking a live one would be all I needed to do to scare off people.

3 day Priority Mail, sent 12/18 got here on the 24th. 3 days late, not bad for X-mas time!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Shark Hunter

I just like guns. Been raised with them. Served in the Military to shoot the big ones.
Me and my Uncles and Granpa were alway doing something shooting related.
Turkey Shoots were a big favorite. It is a family tradition.
I just collect now. They only get more valuable.
I have built 8 of these the past two months.
Life is Good!

thorhammer

Dammit. I have been mostly resisting collecting Newells and guns (the Liberty Fatboy may argue that) because I can get the Jones off nicely rebuilding a 9 or LB 65. But I'm out of rod and reel room.

thorhammer

And my wife likes guns. Has several of her own. Carries. I have no excuse. Crap. I like Mausers, and they used to be 40 bucks in a barrel at Rose's. No more.

WeyeFisherCO

On 12/15 I mailed 3 bill payments at the main post office before the noon pickup. One was delivered by 12/21 (in state) but as of today 12/28 the other two payments have not yet been delivered.  >:(

A few months ago I mailed 2 bill payments to the same address on the same day (for myself and my wife; I know better than to put them in the same envelope, the corporate machine is not equipped to handle that...).  One arrived safely, the other was lost.

I'm in Colorado.  USPS seems to be getting less reliable even though mail volume is down 30% in the past decade.  If this is the new normal, then I'll change to electronic bill pay for almost everything (of course that isn't fool proof either).

mo65

I received a rod by USPS a few days ago...with one of the plastic end caps ripped plum off the tube...and the rod was STILL in the tube! Unbelievable.......:-\
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

For me at least, it is important to be patient (not always easy) with the Post Office.

Yes — the Pandemic, political Postmaster appointments, pulling of sorting machines, weather, the onslaught of mounrtains of extra deliveries due to Covid, the popularity of online shopping, and other challenges — all lead to tough and challenging working conditions — along with a low morale among most PO workers.

They are out in the public — or in processing centers — doing their jobs so we can stay at home and have the things we need.

The USPS definitely needs a tune-up, and an overhaul — but it is still there for us.  And we will see rates go up — likely 30% over the next 5 years.

However, while FedEx & UPS are alternatives — we need to remember that they are also profit-oriented companies.  And as such — could be merged, changed, sold to an Amazon or WalMart, or a foreign corporation. 

At least the USPS is considered a necessary and public utility for the good of the citizenry.

I have had (6) major delays — seemingly for no disclosed reasons over the last 8 months — both coming and going.  5 have been in the East, or Northeast — one from Washington State to California.  But they all eventually arrived.  (1) is pending as of this morning — Priority Mailed on the 18th to Massachusetts — ETA with tracking was the 21st.  Still hasn't showed up as of today, the 29th — and USPS tracking shows "in transit".

It is a new and different world we are living in — and it is important for me to put things into perspective.

I will try to do more with emails, and electronic communications, and keep as many transactions as possible online — but the shipping we do still requires the USPS.  I will always use Priority with tracking.  No use saving a couple of bucks — to not have any idea what is going on — or no one accountable.

And I am grateful that they are active and here for us.

Just my personal opinions —

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

happyhooker

Quote from: foakes on December 29, 2020, 06:26:19 PM
For me at least, it is important to be patient (not always easy) with the Post Office.

Best, Fred

Patience is fine, and we sure do need a well run USPS.

But I see a strange parallel between the USPS and, say, AMTRAK.  When the finances get tough, service is cut and/or rates go up rather than trying to find a way the make the service better and leaner.  So, what came first, the reduction in service or the decline in ridership?  AMTRAK wants us to believe the decline came first, and that no doubt was true to a certain extent (cars and air travel), but I suggest the continuing decline came about because of fewer trains serving fewer places and a rate structure that makes it cost more to ride long distance trains than airplanes.  USPS is eerily similar.  Yeah, emails and electronic messaging would've caused some decline, but I'd like to suggest that USPS has helped cut it's own throat with higher rates, less service and high cost labor; otherwise, UPS and Fed Ex would never have gotten a foot in the door.  Indeed, both of these businesses are for-profit, but USPS gets enormous subsidies from the government, whereas these two private businesses do not.  I just can't understand why USPS cannot see this.

Frank

oc1

I don't know.  Maybe there are some structural efficiency issues too.  If I mail something from the island of Oahu to the Big Island of Hawaii, it goes to California first and spends a couple of days there before it is sent back over the ocean to the Big Island.

Mailing an odd-shaped parcel like a fishing rod to Hawaii can get insane.  It first goes to a holding facility in Culver City or somewhere and is eventually packed into a cargo container.  Getting you package into the cargo container seems like the hardest part.  The cargo container is eventually put on a ship and sent over.  Our cute post lady says they call the CA holding facility the "black hole" because it is so hard to get stuff back out of there.  

Several USPS carriers have told me that Ebay has been their financial salvation.

The late great president of the Unite States thought Amazon was getting too low of a rate from USPS.
Maybe so, but Amazon deliveries seem much less likely to be waylaid by USPS because they incur penalties.  Amazon will likely have their own delivery service at some point.  Maybe we should just give them the USPS.

Shoot!  What am I talking about?  I hate that Amazon is taking over the world.  I like USPS despite everything and hope they get it all turned around for them.
-s

thorhammer

now ebay server is down so i cant contact seller...I just want my 4400 eccentric :( , Santa.

Gfish

The package label I posted above was on a rod box. A birthday present to mail back to the Grandson in a month. But, only a whole 3 ft. long! HA! One of those functional Zebco-spincaster-molded-combo teaching toys with a Micky Mouse theme. Might take a couple more years for him to be able to make it work.

Good thread, tempting thread, waitin for the inevitable, though. No moderator threats yet, hmmm...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!