Main Menu

USPS

Started by thorhammer, December 27, 2020, 12:39:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Quote from: Midway Tommy on October 02, 2023, 04:33:45 PMNot to be Tommy Downer but the rate hikes of the last 3 or 4 years have practically put an end to the lower tier of reel and tackle collecting. I used to buy around 20 reels a month but since shipping took such steep increases I've practically quit buying all together. I'll bet I haven't purchased 20 reels in the last 5 years. Shipping prices in comparison to item prices are the first things I look at nowadays and I know a lot of guys, and collectors, that take the same position as I do. I'm  pretty sure that's why so many reels just sit on the 'Bay day after day & week after week with no takers. It's really a shame because it was a fun hobby for such a long time.

Not everyone has been as fortunate as you or me, Tommy —-

To be able to pickup reels when prices were a lot cheaper, and shipping was less.

Or to be able to buy them in person by the truckload.

However, postage is just an added charge that we all pay, if we choose to continue our hobby —- or we can stop at anytime.

On my little Vintage Reel Sale Post "Free, Cheap, and Easy" -- lots of guys are buying 5-7 reels at a time.  This reduces Priority 2-day Shipping to less than $4 for each reel.

Everyone has to make their own choices —- depending on their situation and importance of their hobby.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: foakes on October 02, 2023, 09:51:41 PM
Quote from: Midway Tommy on October 02, 2023, 04:33:45 PMNot to be Tommy Downer but the rate hikes of the last 3 or 4 years have practically put an end to the lower tier of reel and tackle collecting. I used to buy around 20 reels a month but since shipping took such steep increases I've practically quit buying all together. I'll bet I haven't purchased 20 reels in the last 5 years. Shipping prices in comparison to item prices are the first things I look at nowadays and I know a lot of guys, and collectors, that take the same position as I do. I'm  pretty sure that's why so many reels just sit on the 'Bay day after day & week after week with no takers. It's really a shame because it was a fun hobby for such a long time.

Not everyone has been as fortunate as you or me, Tommy —-

To be able to pickup reels when prices were a lot cheaper, and shipping was less.

Or to be able to buy them in person by the truckload.

However, postage is just an added charge that we all pay, if we choose to continue our hobby —- or we can stop at anytime.

On my little Vintage Reel Sale Post "Free, Cheap, and Easy" -- lots of guys are buying 5-7 reels at a time.  This reduces Priority 2-day Shipping to less than $4 for each reel.

Everyone has to make their own choices —- depending on their situation and importance of their hobby.

Best, Fred

One positive aspect of a buying hiatus, or sabbatical, as some might call it, is that it has given me time to service and restore a lot of reels I wouldn't have been able to get to. For a long time reels were piling up and coming in faster than I could get to them. Not any longer,  ;)  I'm now finally making some headway.  :D   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)