shimano stradic 4000 help..

Started by joe k, December 28, 2020, 06:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe k

i need a little input from anyone on how to properly put back in the anti reverse cam spring ..part 3516 on this aero stradic 4000 reel I've owned new since 1996..looks like a slot in anti reverse part 3517 for spring to go in but i just can't seem to get it to go back in...anti reverse working perfectly but lever flops back and forth freely..any tips would be appreciated..Joe

alantani

crud.  i just don't work on enough of these.  hopefully someone here can.  more photo might be helpful as well.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

joe k

Took apart last February...just for cleaning..ended up dissembling whole reel for 2 springs it needed..not the one I can't get back in..like my old penn spinners ..a lot easier..hope someone can help .. no more shimano  take apart for me..lot of small parts

foakes

Gotta love Tupperware plastic reels with 3 times as many parts as necessary to catch a fish — on top of that, the parts are generally discontinued after 2 or 3 years.  Even on expensive reels like Shimano!

I stopped working on these a few years ago —

Don't need the aggravation...

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

philaroman

know these well -- at a quick glance, looks like FB reel, FD box, blurred schem.
verify reel/box/schem match up & I'll look closer, tonight
https://www.reelschematic.com/reel-schematics/shimano-reel-schematics/shimano-stradic-schematics/#gsc.tab=0

joe k

By schematics looks like fb..single post behind worm gear ..I have schematics also ..just can't get that spring for cam lever in position for lever to snap in and out..lost a more hair than I needed to on a reel..had plenty before going non penn..

joe k

Actually thinking about it now..got it in late 80s early 90s..forgot I'm getting old..

joe k

took back apart photos of spring on reel foot..

joe k

don't know how to take photos correct i guess..

handi2

You will have to pull the eccentric all the way out. You will find a small hole in it for bent leg of the spring. The other end of the spring tucks into the corner of the body. It's one of those that you have to turn and push the eccentric back into place.

Keith

Let me start over. The spring goes in first with one leg in a hole in the body right in the corner. Then you take the eccentric shaft down back in the reel while catching the other leg of the spring. Its still a push and turn process to get it back in.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

joe k

found no hole ..just a slot..really don't want to take back apart to take picture..

handi2

Quote from: joe k on December 28, 2020, 11:03:30 PM
found no hole ..just a slot..really don't want to take back apart to take picture..

Yes it's a slot in the pot metal part. It's very similar to a Penn spinner eccentric but harder to do with your reel.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

joe k

ok ...gonna give it another try ...let ya all know if its a success story..spent way to much time on this reel

philaroman

never mind...  I rushed...  you seem to be OK, clerically: '96 4000FD
FB & 3versions of FD are almost same -- not even sure which I have

been a while, but as I recall, best to deal w/ PITA cam/spring, FIRST (empty gearbox)
there's "the maneuver" involved -- you feel like an idiot 'til you figure it out, then feel like an idiot 'cause it was easy  ::)
you may need to undo/redo The Maneuver to get the main in, but learn it w/ minimal parts in the way

you hold the cam LH inside gearbox, sticking out a bit on top
twist the cam however you need, to get the spring into correct holes regardless of incorrect position
then hold spring ends in correct holes w/ R thumb, press down & rotate (clockwise?)
everything should pop in place WITHOUT effort/force/scraping, then you secure it w/ switch on bottom

joe k

im ultrasonic cleaning cam again .. as we speak ..slot no hole..trying purple power now for short period..did mineral spirits in if first  clean..