Microlite, never seen this!

Started by JeffG, April 11, 2024, 01:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyJoe and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JeffG

Open for opinion. This was an eBay buy that said it had a bail issue. Thanks to Fred that was taken care of, but I noticed the oscillating gear did a little wiggling. I thought maybe it would be too bad, but this much slop is going to cause the oscillating gear wear quick and I'm sure the line lay will suffer also. Looks like it was just pressed and, more or less riveted in. Tried to upload a quick video, but not happening.

foakes

Quote from: Cubby1973 on April 11, 2024, 01:27:08 PMOpen for opinion. This was an eBay buy that said it had a bail issue. Thanks to Fred that was taken care of, but I noticed the oscillating gear did a little wiggling. I thought maybe it would be too bad, but this much slop is going to cause the oscillating gear wear quick and I'm sure the line lay will suffer also. Looks like it was just pressed and, more or less riveted in. Tried to upload a quick video, but not happening.

——————————————-

Hi Jeff —

The worm pinion will not wear out, since it is steel.  It rides in the steel bearing & the rear frame housing bushing — which is brass.  DQ, as well as other quality reel makers would use "material selection of aluminum, brass, bronze, steel, and some softer alloys" — so that the parts would play well together, be smoother, and in the case of a failure — the lease expensive parts would ideally go first.

In the case of your reel, I suspect that the grease became caked and hard over decades of "non-use".  Then someone came along and tried to "free" it up by continuing to crank against the resistance — instead of doing a full cleaning, evacuation of all crud & grease, burnishing and polishing of internals, then reassembly with modern synthetic grease.  This is what broke the oscillation gear post that is attached to the frame.

There are a few remedies — the first two will result in perfect results.

A replacement frame housing, $20.

Send me the reel as-is in a plastic baggie —- and I'll replace the frame, remove the old bearing, replace any questionable parts — and get everything operating 100%, and good for another 30 years, $40.

Try to replace the post with something else.  While possible, this is time consuming with no guarantee of a successful result — and will likely end up with a reel of low confidence performance — which could fail at a critical time.

The engineering tolerances are exact and tight on these reels.  Any slop or deviation will not go well.  The A/R dog also operates on this steel post.

Glad to help, however you decide..

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

JeffG

Thanks Fred. I will most likely have you send the whole frame since I got the bearing and pinion out, but will message you the final decision.

Thanks
Jeff

oldmanjoe

:(  Can you load a picture ?   
broke the oscillation gear post that is attached to the frame.

That kid can break a bowling ball in a sand box !
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

JeffG

Quote from: oldmanjoe on April 11, 2024, 03:14:11 PM:(  Can you load a picture ?   

There's not much a picture will do. It's just loose, very loose, in the housing and the post itself can spin.

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Cubby1973 on April 11, 2024, 03:37:12 PM
Quote from: oldmanjoe on April 11, 2024, 03:14:11 PM:(  Can you load a picture ?   

There's not much a picture will do. It's just loose, very loose, in the housing and the post itself can spin.
OH   Ok ,Makes me think that the post is held in place with a twist grip rivet.
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

JeffG

Quote from: oldmanjoe on April 11, 2024, 04:28:12 PM
Quote from: Cubby1973 on April 11, 2024, 03:37:12 PM

OH   Ok ,Makes me think that the post is held in place with a twist grip rivet.

Yeah, not sure. I gave it a tap up against my vice the best I could, but didn't feel like anything changed. When I get a replacement I'll look into grinding it out to see how. Maybe I'll be able to somehow affix it back.

Steve V.

Quote from: oldmanjoe on April 11, 2024, 03:14:11 PMThat kid can break a bowling ball in a sand box !

I thought it was break a crowbar in the middle of the desert with his bare hands.

:d

JeffG

Well, I was able to grind the oscillating wheel post out and then while waiting for the replacement frame from Fred, post office is really taking it's time, I got some JB Weld and secured the post back to the frame and after some crappy grinding with a Dremel it's temporarily back together and working flawlessly!
    Posting a few pics of the journey.

Thanks
Jeff

foakes

Please let me know when the 265 frame arrives, Jeff —-

According to the latest USPS tracking, it is still enroute!

Tracking shows it left our P.O. on 4/11/24.

Nice work on the 265 oscillation gear post.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

JeffG

Quote from: foakes on April 19, 2024, 06:21:01 PMPlease let me know when the 265 frame arrives, Jeff —-

Best, Fred

Yeah, I had something a couple of months back do the same thing was "moving through the network" for 11 days! But I'm sure it will get here.

I wasn't sure the a/r dog would run true, but all runs well. I will have an extra, although "Frankensteined" frame, rotor and faceplate. Maybe I'll piece a whole one together some day.

Thanks
Jeff

quang tran

I have a question about Microlite reel ,does spool for Microlite and 110 the same ? Have line spooling problem but remember it was fine before,I may mix up the spool with 110 ?

Midway Tommy

Quote from: quang tran on April 19, 2024, 07:11:37 PMI have a question about Microlite reel ,does spool for Microlite and 110 the same ? Have line spooling problem but remember it was fine before,I may mix up the spool with 110 ?

110 & Microlite 265 spools will interchange, but a 110N spool will not work in either the 110 or Microlite 265. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

JeffG

Quote from: foakes on April 19, 2024, 06:21:01 PMPlease let me know when the 265 frame arrives, Jeff —-

Best, Fred

Hi Fred! The 265 frame came Wednesday all is well now. Thanks again!

Jeff