Done for the Day

Started by foakes, December 30, 2020, 10:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Up at 4:00 AM this morning —

Started working on reels after some Bible study, self time, and wife time — just before 7:00.

Knocked out 7 completes — would have been 9, but a head plate blew out on me while putting the finishing touches on a very rough old 149 — and a Daiwa LD50H had a dried out drag — and when deciding whether to replace it or grease it — it just crumbles into pieces.

All were eBay specials that a client sent in — of which, all except (1) had considerable rust, old drags, and various issues — except the DQ110N.  It belongs to a gentleman up in Idaho — and he never thought he would be able to fish it again because of some issues.  It is like new now.  So, the new year will start off getting these last (2) completed — then attacking the remaining backlog.  

Been making good progress on it.  Down from a high of 95 waiting behind the bench — to around 50 right now.

Besides restores, servicing, and repairs — there are also a large number of new builds that have been promised to folks — that will finally get done.

Went through 1/3 of a gallon of lacquer thinner this morning that was too black to use again even with straining.  At nearly $20 a gallon — it gets expensive.

Happy New Year to All!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

thorhammer

There will be some happy customers right there!

Dominick

Fred, I looked over your work bench and you get an A minus for neatness and organization.  The only reason I did not give you an A is because the wiping rag was not folded.   ;D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Midway Tommy

You've been a busy little Beaver, Fred! $20 a gal? Holy Moly! I'm lucky, I guess. I've got a painter friend that gets me contractor price on 5 gal cans. Worst case scenario, though, is we've got multiple Menards around here so the most I ever have to pay is about $45 a 5. I use the utility grade. It dries a little slower but cleans parts and tools just fine.  
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Gfish

Man what a great lookin place to work on reels n stuff. If it was my business, I'd think about an apprentice. Some responsible youngster that wants to learn reel repair. "Here's fidy reels son, I need 'em apart in one week". I wouldn't want anyone else working in a shop like that one though.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

happyhooker

C'mon, foakes, you gotta get busy in '21 and leave all this loafing behind!

Best to all in the new year.

Frank

Tiddlerbasher

Fred you are a marvel - truely my friend :)

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

jgp12000

Fred,
After this year,2 months of which were teleworking, I didn't miss going in at all. I am ready to retire and do what I want to do when I want to do it. I have plenty to do at home as well, after all that work looks like you are ready for another trip! Hopefully, I can get my shop half that organized, now...Maybe a road trip to get some reels from the Master.

Mjg378

Wow Fred.   When I look at your workstation, I just smile!  (The OCD in me loves it)

Mike